 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17800
17799  |  17801
Subject:
Black Rare Classic Windows... by the dozens...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2012 20:03:38 GMT

Well they're real LEGO windows/doors, but not real black classic ones... but
check out the image(s)...

A few years ago I committed LEGO blasphemy.... I painted LEGO... (GASP!)

Actually with a classic window collection numbering over 5,000, there were a lot
of discoloured and glass-less windows and doors that were still in great shape
(no chew marks), but were not really usable for me or anyone...

So I tried something to make them useful. I got some black modeling paint, and
spray painted them. I was going to use them on a large office building that
would generate a lot of interest and curiosity, since TLG only ever released
into production 2 very rare black windows for the train system....
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=29&colorID=11
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=7026&colorID=11

Now granted, I wanted to avoid creating counterfeit parts, so I did not spray
paint the backs (and parts of the sides) of the windows. But you won't be able
to see those parts when used in building.  The windows originally either red or
white. But you don't see the unsprayed areas during usage.  And I left unpainted
areas because there's enough counterfeiting going on as it is with LEGO...

But these came out quite nice, and I was going to used them in a novelty
building that was sure to generate interest. But that never happened (about 4 or
so years ago).

So I'm now offering them for sale at quite decent prices. I made examples of all
9 different classic windows (only 2 types were ever sold to the public), as well
as the right and left handled classic door (also never sold to the public).

Interestingly enough, TLG probably produced some examples of each of these in
black... just as prototypes that were never released.

Here is an image of one of the trays of windows that I created, as well as an
old model I created with some of them (on Brickset forum).

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/3314/selling-black-classic-windows#Item_3

It took 2 years of searching my basement to finally find them again. Also, since
I sill have the spray paint... (and in the mean time got a lot more discoloured
and otherwise useless) classic windows... I can crank out a few more than the
ones I created a few years back. The paint is still usable.

Check out my Bricklink store window selection in these (under windows)....
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=istokg

Cheers,
Gary Istok

P.S.  And until they run out... for each $10 order... I'll add one of these
1970s large red spoked wheels with tire in near mint condition (they're found in
the 1970s Hobby Sets)... as a freebie! :)
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=35c01&colorID=5