 Local / South Africa / * (-5)
Re: Anyone out there?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.za
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 12:42:18 GMT

In lugnet.loc.za, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:

Hi!

I'm here, in Pretoria, and wondering if there are any
LUGNETters in this lovely land.  That is all.

best

LFB              Hi Lindsay are you still there ?  I am in KZN Please e-mail me  Glad to meet a South African lego fan

Subject:
Mocambique
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.za
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:04:18 GMT

hello! is anyone in this newsgroup?

I will be living in Maputo for one year or two. As you can imagine, here
in Mocambique there are no lego resources.

From the few messages sent to this newsgroup, i saw that the situation
in South Africa is not much better...

I have been in Nelspruit and saw one shop with legos. I don't remeber
about the prices because i was not familiar with the rand
at that time. How is it? What are the best places to buy legos in South
Africa?

Daniel Carvalho

Re: Lego interest in South Africa
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.za
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:26:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.general, Hans Bregman writes:

  If you know what you need, I may be able to factor it in from
  the US (being a 'Murican and all) and save you the cost of
  exchanging monies; but that would require I find someone
  willing to post parts to me here at the Cape.  (Hint hint:
  any volunteers?)

Hiya Lindsay,

I'll raise my hand here.  Let me know what you had in mind or need, and we can
definitely figure out the logistics.

-Shaun

Re: Lego interest in South Africa
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.za
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:05:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Hans Bregman writes:
Are there any South Africans interested in Lego. Please help as I need to
order parts in this country, but can't find suppliers of spares.

   Mynheer Bregman:

   I currently live in Cape Town, but I'm not sure how much help
   I would be because I'm not visiting back to the US until at
   least May or June.  And yes, getting supplies of spares to
   ZA is not easy--the Australians may complain rightfully,
   but the situation here is far worse.

   If you know what you need, I may be able to factor it in from
   the US (being a 'Murican and all) and save you the cost of
   exchanging monies; but that would require I find someone
   willing to post parts to me here at the Cape.  (Hint hint:
   any volunteers?)

   Unfortunately, although I have a truly crazy amount of LEGO,
   none of it is here with me (except for two dark grey 2x4 bricks).

   Pop me an email (not at the above address; rather, at lfbraun (at)
   mweb.co.za) and we can figure out what to do.  And post in
   .loc.za, because it's lonely there!

   best

   LFB

   (followups to .loc.za)

Subject:
South African Shopper's Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.za, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:43:28 GMT

   [nb: I've set FU->.market.shopping, but set it as you will
    based upon your point of order.]

   Hi, everyone.  It's time for your South African Shopper's Report!

   Today I visited several venues in Cape Town.  There are no major
   toy chains here as they're known in NA/Europe/Asia/Australia; the
   LEGO density is really, really low.  This has several reasons, but
   the major one is that LEGO products command about the same price
   in an *absolute* sense ($1 = R9.25) as they do in the US.

   This means that what one does find in South Africa is the cheap-o
   knockoff.  I've seen both "Shifty" and "Brick" brands here, but
   only small sets going for R20 to R50.  For more on those two
   knockoff brankds, check out .clone-brands archive; but in short
   the quality is pretty awful and the designs--and often even box
   graphics--are totally and shamelessly stolen from LEGO.  Compared
   with what others have seen overseas in these two brands, the set
   assortment has not changed in the last two years.

   At the store called "Game," which is the closest South Africa
   seems to have to a Wal-Mart, I did find actual, honest-to-goodness
   LEGO.  The LEGO was, however, restricted to Bionicle (Bohrok and
   Toa Nuva[!]) and a lone Jack Stone set; all were priced at about
   US retail (the Jack Stone set, the helicopter carrier, was at $17).
   There were also two other brands that came in quantity:  "OK - IQ
   200" brand, which came in primary colors and seemed to have a
   quality roughly like early MegaBloks; only one brick had leaked
   out of a tub so I couldn't gauge brick adhesion.  It came in
   translucent plastic buckets of original design, and there was
   also a "Junior" division that was not unlike Duplo in size but
   had solid studs and sharper corners.  The other brand was "Slic
   Bric," which came in small boxes of 200 bricks each; I couldn't
   find any open boxes so I don't know anything about its qualities.

   So the LEGO holdings are meager at best here.  I saw a couple of
   ads in the classifieds for Technic sets being sold, as well as a
   6950.  But the asking prices were very high, even for used sets.
   So as I'd expected, this is a disappointing LEGO market.  But I
   did seen a Bionicle ad on e-TV (channel 4), however, so the SAf
   market is not quite ignored by the LEGO marketing juggernaut.

   ObWeer: it's summer!  Now I see what the Australians are so darn
   happy about in the middle of December.  Also, why the Cape is so
   full of Germans, Britons, and Dutch.  I hope the bulk of LUGNET
   are enjoying their winter.  (Of course, I'd gladly take the
   winter if it meant staying inside building with my LEGO.)

   best

   LFB

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact