 Local / United States / Virginia / Arlington / *42 (-10)
Subject:
WAMALUG April meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 21:12:43 GMT

Date: Sunday, April 13, 2003
Time: 12:00PM - 5:00PM

Location: GMU Arlington Campus
3401 North Fairfax Drive Arlington, Virginia 22201

Room: 257

If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join
us!

  LEGO Discussion, Show and Tell, games(Brikwars/mideval), trading and other
stuff.

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building (
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:57:49 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
A question for folks in there area...

And a follow-up question...

I asked the WMATA RideGuide what's the best way for me to get from my hotel
to the GMU Arlington campus and it said this:

  Take ORANGE LINE Towards VIENNA/FAIRFAX -GMU
  Depart:  ROSSLYN METRO STATION  At 09:05 AM
  Arrive:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:13 AM

  Take 24M PENTAGON
  Depart:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:50 AM
  Arrive:  WILSON BV & KENMORE ST  At 09:55 AM

  Walk 0.09 miles NW to GEORGE MASON UNIVARL
      Walk 1 block NW on N KENMORE ST.

Does that sound correct?

No... the Virginia Square station is a better choice... when you surface
(there is a bit of construction that makes you go to the S a bit I think)
loop around to Fairfax and go to the right (east I think)... it's on your
left immediately after you pass the FDIC building.

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:05:11 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <todd@lugnet.com> writes:
My flight is supposed to get in at 10:06pm tonight at BWI.  The WMATA
website's (awesome) RideGuide feature says I should do the following to
get to my hotel (the Key Bridge Marriott): • [...]
[1] http://rideguide.wmata.com/index.html
Oh my if Boston only had a MBTA site this good!

That reminds me a lot of the Deutsche Bahn web site (http://www.bahn.de)
which I used to plan a lot of my travels while in Germany last summer.

Imagine a site for an entire *country* that good.  Including not only
the national train lines but also local buses as well...

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
A question for folks in there area...

My flight is supposed to get in at 10:06pm tonight at BWI.  The WMATA
website's (awesome) RideGuide feature says I should do the following to
get to my hotel (the Key Bridge Marriott):

  Take B30 GREENBELT STATION
  Depart:  BWI AIRPORT BUS STOP @PIER E LOWER LEVEL   At 10:20 PM
  Arrive:  GREENBELT METRO STATION  At 10:49 PM

  Take GREEN LINE Towards BRANCH AVE
  Depart:  GREENBELT METRO STATION   At 11:10 PM
  Arrive:  L'ENFANT PLAZA METRO STATION  At 11:38 PM

  Take BLUE LINE Towards FRANCONIA
  Depart:  L'ENFANT PLAZA METRO STATION  At 11:48 PM
  Arrive:  ROSSLYN METRO STATION  At 12:00 AM

  Walk 0.25 miles NW to MARRIOTT KEY BRIDGES
     Walk 2 blocks N on N MOORE ST.
     Turn left on LEE HWY.
     Walk 1 block W on LEE HWY.

And for the return trip on Sunday, it says if I want to get to BWI around
6:30pm (flight leaves 8:45), I should leave Rosslyn Metro Station at 5:03pm.

Does that sound about correct?  Is it allowing enough time?

--Todd

[1] http://rideguide.wmata.com/index.html
Oh my if Boston only had a MBTA site this good!

Sounds to me like it is cutting it extremely fine. On a Thursday evening, this
plan might very well have you catching the absolutely last Blue Line headed in
that direction, and it depends on you catching the shuttle 14 minutes after
arrival at BWI! But the site knows the scheduling of trains better than I do.
Especially on a weekend there can be 20 minutes before trains, though.

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:23:42 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
A question for folks in there area...

And a follow-up question...

I asked the WMATA RideGuide what's the best way for me to get from my hotel
to the GMU Arlington campus and it said this:

  Take ORANGE LINE Towards VIENNA/FAIRFAX -GMU
  Depart:  ROSSLYN METRO STATION  At 09:05 AM
  Arrive:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:13 AM

The Virginia Square station, one stop short of Ballston heading west, is one
block west of the BrickFest location and is already along Fairfax Drive.

  Take 24M PENTAGON
  Depart:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:50 AM
  Arrive:  WILSON BV & KENMORE ST  At 09:55 AM

  Walk 0.09 miles NW to GEORGE MASON UNIVARL
      Walk 1 block NW on N KENMORE ST.

Does that sound correct?

Also, is the 3401 North Fairfax Drive address shown here:

  http://www.brickfest.com/hotel_info.htm

is that where to go once at GMU?  And then we go up to the second/third
floors?

Fairfax Drive is already at the level of the second floor. There is a sidewalk
and a ramp connecting Fairfax Drive and the entrances on the second floor. As
pointed out on the floor plan available at the BrickFest site :( See an earlier
post from a coordinator making use of my photograph of the exterior of the
former Kann's department store that GMU occupies to make absolutely sure of the
identification.

Thanks,
--Todd

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:42:28 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
A question for folks in there area...

And a follow-up question...

I asked the WMATA RideGuide what's the best way for me to get from my hotel
to the GMU Arlington campus and it said this:

  Take ORANGE LINE Towards VIENNA/FAIRFAX -GMU
  Depart:  ROSSLYN METRO STATION  At 09:05 AM
  Arrive:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:13 AM

  Take 24M PENTAGON
  Depart:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:50 AM
  Arrive:  WILSON BV & KENMORE ST  At 09:55 AM

  Walk 0.09 miles NW to GEORGE MASON UNIVARL
      Walk 1 block NW on N KENMORE ST.

Does that sound correct?

not really - when we took the metro to WAMALUG meetings, we never had to
take a bus.  I don't remember offhand what stop we took, but I think it was
on the orange line...  Maybe ballston metro?  it was only a block or two away.

Dan

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:32:50 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:24:08 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
[1] http://rideguide.wmata.com/index.html
Oh my if Boston only had a MBTA site this good!

no kidding!  it was one of the first things I missed when I moved here.
RideGuide rocks! :)

FUT Geeking

Subject:
From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:19:03 GMT

[...]

BrickFest: Roommate matching needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:13:52 GMT

I've got a place to stay, but I've noticed a number of other people who aren't
sure whether they can make it due to the cost -- or who are sure they're going
but would really like to find a way to keep costs down.

Does anyone out there have a hotel room and wish to split the cost with
another AFOL?  Let's hear from you!

Are there people in the DC/Arlington area who are willing to put fellow AFOLs
up for the night?  Let's hear from you!

I looked around on the BrickFest website but didn't find a "roommate matching
board" or anything like that.  I seem to recall one from last year, but maybe
I'm just imagining that.  Anyway, it seems like if someone from out of town
could stay with someone in the area, they'd be more than happy to do their own
laundry, cook dinner, etc.  Seems like a win-win -- if only we can match
people up.

--Todd

p.s.  I found a place to stay by responding to a post that someone had posted
in lugnet.events.brickfest.  Try it, it works!

[followups to lugnet.events.brickfest]

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact