 Local / United States / Texas / 185
184  |  186
Subject:
TexLUG Austin 3/12 meeting report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.loc.us.tx.aus, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:57:19 GMT

Folks,

Attending the 3/12 TexLUG Austin meeting were:

  Louis Davis
  Lee Rahe
  Tim Rueger
  Ed Southerland

Ed brought a few more of his custom minifigs, but most
of his MOCs were really nice xpod-based spaceships.  I
really liked his stylings in various space themes,
including Blacktron, M:Tron, Ice Planet 2002, Spyrius,
and Life on Mars.

Lee proudly showed off some excellent-condition pieces
from his recent vintage Lego acquisitions.  I, for one,
was very impressed with the details that Lego's
injection molding was achieving in the late 50's and
early 60's.

Louis was a first-time attendee; he got a Mindstorms kit
around Christmas, and was looking for help and ideas on
what to do with it.

On that note, I showed a simple line following robot
from Jonathan Knudsen's O'Reilly Mindstorms book to
demonstrate an upcoming line-following robotics contest.
Look for rules and schedules to be posted in the next
week.

Adminstrivia: I'd mentioned to a few folks that the
Little Walnut Creek library was scheduled to be closed
for remodeling in May 2006.  However, the remodeling has
been delayed some months, so I'm working on extending
our 2nd-Sunday meeting slot reservation there for as
long as possible.

Please keep in mind that we will eventually have to find
a new place to meet.  If you have any good suggestions,
please pass them along (either to the list or by private
email).

Play well,
-Tim

Brickshelf gallery:

Lee, Louis, and Ed:

Ed's MOCs:

Lee's vintage Lego:

Jonathan Knudsen's simple line following robot:

  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lmstorms/