 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 64
Re: NELUG Meeting to Prep for MindFest Next Week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:44:33 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Kevin Loch writes:
Are there any out-of-band gatherings planned for the Mindfest
Weekend?  I assume that some people will at least want to go out for
drinks/dinner/etc.

I don't know of any firm plans, but I for one certainly plan on eating dinner
after the end of each day's MindFest activities.

Friday evening (Oct 22) is setup for the event, and I know that several NELUG
members plan to be on hand at the Media Lab as volunteers to help the
organizers and presenters get things set up.  I don't know how late that will
go, but it is likely that people might want to grab a bite and/or a drink
afterwards.

Saturday (Oct 23) the MindFest activities officially wind down at about 6:00
PM, as I understand it.  The NELUG meeting isn't scheduled to begin until 7:00
which provides a short (!) window in between to grab some dinner.  Or we can
go crawling after the meeting wraps up if there's any interest.

Sunday (Oct 24, in case you've been keeping track) is the wrap-up day for
MindFest.  Again, I assume that we volunteers will help out with the tear-down
at the Media Lab afterwards.  I'm not sure how many people will still be
hanging around town at that point, but it's another possibility.

The preparatory meeting that NELUG is trying to plan for Tuesday or more
likely Wednesday (Oct 19 or 20) will be focused primarily on making sure we
are all ready for MindFest.  However, I don't see any reason why we would
exclude any visitors who want to attend, so that is another opportunity.

I know that the MindFest organizers are hoping to meet with the volunteers
probably some evening that final week to familiarize us with what is expected
of us during the 'Fest.  I doubt that this would be a good occasion for a
general social gathering, since the MindFest organizers will have an agenda of
their own to cover.  But I mention that because it may reduce the number of
local AFOLs that will be available to socialize.  (As far as I know, this
meeting has not yet been scheduled.)

I've also gotten one or two messages from folks who will be in town from afar
for a few days or a week before MindFest.  There was a small amount of
interest expressed in any Lego-Fests or other social gatherings that might be
happening during that time.  If you have any ideas for activities or meeting
places, post them here!

Overall, it's going to be a pretty busy time for everybody.  But there should
also be a lot of like-minded people around town to get together.  I propose
that if you are one of those people, that you try to chat it up here on LUGNET
and make something happen if it isn't already.  That approach seems to work
pretty well from what I've seen.