 Local / United States / New York / Yonkers / 4
Re: Yonkers New York newsgroup renamed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.yon
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:17:12 GMT

I accidently posted the following to lugnet.admin.general.  I think it was
because I was reading this thread here, then switched to that group and hit
reply there instead of here.  Sorry.  Anyway, it is probably too late for this
subject.
- - - -

I am woefully ignorant of the NYC area, but since I am moving close to Yonkers
in 2 months, maybe I can add a small suggestion.  Perhaps I can even be the
first Yonkers subscriber!  :-)  First, I agree that a "Greater NYC" or
"Metropolitan NYC"(including Newark and SW CT) might be good.  Or you could go
with subgroups according to the boroughs.  As far as Yonkers goes, it really
is a separate city, the fourth largest in NY, so people there aren't likely to
be happy if anyone denigrated it; it has its own cultural amenities, history,
etc.  Instead of a "Yonkers" group, I would suggest a "Westchester County"
group, which would pick up Yonkers and many other communities (White Plains,
Rye, etc.).  Many people commute from NYC to White Plains to work, from what I
understand.  And if you say "Westchester County" to anyone from NY, NYC, or to
a whole heck of a lot of other people outside of the Empire State, they would
know exactly what area you were talking about.  And Westchester Co. folks are
happy to be known for Westchester Co., =not= for being some "satellite" or
"suburb" of NYC.

For the rest of NY, you might section it off according to regions including
the other cities, Buffalo, Rochester, etc.