Subject:
Heads are rolling...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us.va.ric
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:15:10 GMT

Well, my project at IBM just got axed today. We have 30 days to find a
new job within IBM and a decent severance package after that. I still
plan on attending BricksWest and local events in the next few weeks (I
think I will be coming up to Richmond this weekend - I need to pace
myself with some fun). I have a very promising job lead in San Jose with
the IBM Almaden Research Center with the manager I worked with when I
went out there just over a year ago. While that job would likely cut
back on my LEGO spending, I think I will enjoy the area with plenty of
activity in my two most important communities (LEGO and church). The bad
news is that there aren't many IBM opportunities locally and a lot of
folks competing for them.

I of course will not turn down any offers to pass resumes around (I'm a
software engineer looking for OS, device driver, networking, or similar
lower level programming with a breadth of experience in operating
systems and machine architectures). I'm willing to move almost anywhere,
but will be focusing on Silicon Valley, Portland Oregon, and Atlanta
(all conveniently hotbeds of both LEGO and my church). Boston is also a
strong possibility (though it seems to be a little less of a LEGO hotbed
than a year ago, and it's certainly a hotbed for my church, and most of
my family is there to boot, and I hear from one fellow employee who just
came from Sun 8 months ago that Sun is hiring [she's giving serious
consideration of going back], and I do see job reqs for Lotus [though I
don't think there's too much for me in Lotus]). Hmm, I think actually
almost all of the LEGO hotbeds are good areas for my church also
(there's probably even a connection there) so D.C. and the Tampa Bay
area are possibilities also, and I don't think Southern California is
out of the question.

Frank