 Local / United States / Mississippi / *14 (-10)
Subject:
LEGO Meeting in Memphis.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.ar, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 23:44:07 GMT

Hello.
     Anyone out there interested in having a (non-group based) LEGO meeting in
Memphis? If so, let me know your stand on the issue.

James J.

Subject:
DixieLUG meeting (!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.al, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.ms, lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 04:46:26 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Ok, folks, this is fair warning:

looks like we will actually have another DixieLUG meeting at my house in
a month.

WHEN: 21 April 2001
WHERE: Eric Harshbarger's House (email me for directions)

Please RSVP (to the group, I guess) so I can know how many people to
expect. I will have a few new models to exhibit since our last meeting
(what, 9 months ago now?)

I'm always up for piece-trading as well (my current wants include
trans-red and tran-yellow bricks and plates -- and if anyone needs
orange slopes... I've got plenty...)

cheers,

eric

Eric Harshbarger / eric@ericharshbarger.org / www.ericharshbarger.org

"Oh please, if people are going to start telling the truth around
here... I'm going to bed." - Jackie-O (Parker Posey, THE HOUSE OF YES)

Re: New LUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.loc.us.ms, lugnet.loc.us.ar
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:59:36 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, Rich Thompson writes:
Hey James! I can transport you to Nashville's TennLUG meetings easily. I
have room for six in my truck + enough cargo space for a decent sized
layout. I am already taking two smaller folks up the first or second week in
April...if we can work out schedules with the other TennLUG folks (mainly
Robert, who has volunteered his house).

As for a local group, my lego area is dining room sized (in fact, it once
was the dining room...hahaha) and we could get together here when a full
blown TennLUG meeting isn't an option.

The TennLUG group is considering a larger train layout or a larger project.
I imagine that will be the topic at the next meeting...

Shoot me an email.... rich@robotthoughts.com

Rich Thompson
http://www.tennlug.com
http://www.robotthoughts.com

Thanks for the offer, Rich.
That sounds great. I may have to work on Saturdays, but I'll let you know
something. I may be able to work out later meetings easier, esp. once U of M
lets out. Despite it's overwhelming size, I might be able to shoehorn my
(currently visible) entire LEGO collection into something convenient (or 1 big
Rubbermaid, if I owned such).

The get together in town sounds great also.
It's good to know that there is someone in town that I can exchange ideas with.
I still have a few models I made in earlier years that can be easily
re-assembled. If you deal with any of the L-CAD programs, I could always use
suggestions, such as with my large Articulated Battroid/Mecha project, or with
custom-made elements.
Get back to me soon.

James J.
jejackso@memphis.edu
http://www.people.memphis.edu/~Jejackso/ledit.html
(Personal Minifig Population: >=55, with 3 still unaccounted for.)

P.S. I think Todd may be getting overworked. His sig read "--Todd (listening
to Johnny Cash's album _Murder_ :-)". Scary stuff indeed :p • lol

In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, James Jackson writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.org.us.bloc, James Jackson writes:
How would you go about establishing a new L.U.G., particularly in a
more-localized region? Although I would like to start one in Memphis,
I am not sure that I could round-up enough "local boys" and "local gals"
who'd be interested.

I would start by posting a question to gauge interest level in the relevant
local groups and seeing how many people are around.  Give your thoughts on
what you'd like to accomplish, how often you'd like to get together, how
formal of an organization, etc.  Then, if you get a few responses, see if
you can all decide on a date to meet at someone's house (or a local pub or
library, anywhere) and talk about stuff and bring LEGO and have an informal
building session for a couple hours.  See how it goes, see how people get
along.  (In my experience, LEGO people all seem to get along pretty well,
compared to random people out in the general population.)  See if people are
excited about meet again.  If so, set a date to meet again, then announce it
and invite more people.  Put up photos if you can -- that always helps
people see that something is "real."

BTW, when you say Memphis, do you mean the greater Memphis metropolitan area
or something larger or smaller?  The reason I ask is because you might
contact the TennLUG people and see if there's overlap.

  http://www.tennlug.com/
  http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/tennlug/

Thanks for the information Todd. When I say Memphis, I mean it would be nice • to
have a subsidiary-type LUG dealing with Memphis and towns within a 60-mile
radius of it in the Mid-South or Tenn-Ark-Miss region. For you see, I am
without car, nor the means to travel 200 miles and 4-5 hrs. to Nashville.

--Todd (listening to Johnny Cash's album _Murder_ :-)

Re: New LUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.loc.us.ms, lugnet.loc.us.ar
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:07:39 GMT

We'll be meeting sometime during the first of April on a saturday. We'll
post directions and dates to lugnet.loc.us.tn and lugnet.org.us.tennlug..
Also, http://www.tennlug.com will be updated.

Rich Thompson
http://www.tennlug.com
http://www.robotthoughts.com

In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, Benjamin Medinets writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, Rich Thompson writes:
Hey James! I can transport you to Nashville's TennLUG meetings easily. I
have room for six in my truck + enough cargo space for a decent sized
layout. I am already taking two smaller folks up the first or second week in
April...if we can work out schedules with the other TennLUG folks (mainly
Robert, who has volunteered his house).

As for a local group, my lego area is dining room sized (in fact, it once
was the dining room...hahaha) and we could get together here when a full
blown TennLUG meeting isn't an option.

The TennLUG group is considering a larger train layout or a larger project.
I imagine that will be the topic at the next meeting...

Shoot me an email.... rich@robotthoughts.com

Can you give me the date and location of the next meeting?  I am in
Clarksville, and would like to meet some local AFOL's.  But sadly, I am
going to be moving in 2 months back to my home of record in Southern
Ontario.  Oh well, some info would be appreciated.

Benjamin Medinets

Re: New LUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.loc.us.ms, lugnet.loc.us.ar
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 02:44:23 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ar, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:52:40 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ar, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:31:33 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ar, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:21:02 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ar, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:21:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.bloc, James Jackson writes:
    How would you go about establishing a new L.U.G., particularly in a
more-localized region? Although I would like to start one in Memphis, I am not
sure that I could round-up enough "local boys" and "local gals" who'd be
interested.
  We had a loose group of people in Ohio.  Then a couple people just started
organizing events.  BrikWars was the event we used to start getting groups
together.  Although, the gather-at-Troy's-house-and-build-something-neat
sessions are doing well too.

  I suggest just trying to organize a get-together.  But, I'd caution not to
wait until everybody who is interested can make it.  You'll never resolve all
the schedules.  Just pick a time that a few people can definately make and get
started.  Other people will make other sessions.

    Good Luck,
     Gino A...

Subject:
The Well Traveled Maniac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ms.jac, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:43:19 GMT

Wow, I can't believe I am the first post to these two groups... surely there
are some maniacs in MS???

But anyway, I am coming to Jackson (80-90% probability) Mississippi, Tuesday
and Wednesday of next week (1 and 2 August 2000)... so the usual question
applies, any interest in meeting me for dinner or something? I continue to
strive to be the AFOL who, not working for TLC, has met the most other AFOLs...

Drop me a note to my mercator ID or call me on my cell...

++Lar

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact