 Local / United States / Indiana / 184
183  |  185
Subject:
Indy AFOL Knights win ISD building tournament @ Celebration III
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.announce, lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.in, lugnet.loc.us.in.ind
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:50:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

LEGO had a booth at Star Wars Celebration III this past weekend in Indianapolis. One of the activities that they had there was an Imperial Star Destroyer speed build tournament. Eight teams (4 Jedi, 4 Sith) of ten people each competed in a single-elimination bracket style tournament to see who could build the 10030 ISD set the fastest. I’m happy to announce that the Indy AFOL Knights (a Jedi team) won the competition!

Our team consisted of:
Joe Greene, Indianapolis, IN (Team Captain)
Justin Makemson, Bloomington IN
Lora Makemson, Bloomington, IN (1st and 3rd Rounds)
Kyle Dialy, Bloomington, IN (2nd round)
Meyer Makemson, Bloomington, IN
Tim Fallowfield, Indianapolis, IN
David “Fuzzy” Gregory, Lafayette, IN
Steve Hassenplug, Lafayette, IN
Brian Davis, South Bend, IN
Ben Davis, South Bend, IN
Jason Gorber, Toronto, Canada

The tournament was set up so that Jedi teams competed against each other until there was one team left, as did the Sith teams. Then the final build was the best Jedi team against the best Sith team.

Our first build was on Friday starting at 7:00 PM. We won that match with a time of 1 hour, 44 minutes. Here’s a picture of us putting on the final touches and a picture of the progress that the other Jedi team had made.

Our next match was Saturday at 1:00. The Jedi team that we went up against in that round was our toughest competition in the tournament. However, we won and shortened our time to 1 hour, 32 minutes. (Sorry, I didn’t get any pics from our second match. The opposing team didn’t have many pieces left to assemble though.)

The final Jedi vs. Sith match took place that same day at 4:00. We managed to once again win and shorten our building time. Our final (3rd) ISD build time was 1 hour, 23 minutes. Here we are standing around our final ISD, and a pic of the Sith’s progress.

(I think Brian Davis is the one missing from the team picture.)

Those green T-shirts that we’re wearing were given to each member of all the Jedi teams. The Sith teams got a similar shirt in a different color. After our victory LEGO awarded us a Darth Vader model and gave each of us a Darth Vader medallion.

I’m very proud of our team for working well together and giving it their all. We were especially pleased to emerge victorious with 2 youngsters on our team. (The other teams were all adults, if I remember right.) Both Jedi and Sith alike had a fun time, and friendly sportsmanship was displayed by everyone who competed.

I would also like to thank the LEGO company for holding this event and awarding us prizes, especially to Melinda Carter who coordinated the whole thing.

The entire gallery of pics can be viewed here. There are some other interesting things to see, like a huge Republic ship from Episode III and a huge Chewbacca.

David “Fuzzy” Gregory