 Local / United States / Florida / *372 (-10)
Re: Any AFOLs in the Miami Area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 01:53:09 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia, John J. Sierra wrote:
   Just sending out a shout out to any fans of LEGO that might be out there in the Florida South Miami area.

my website is: http://www.jjsierra.com

Curious to know if I’m not alone.

Build On - J.J. Sierra

There’s a few Fans of LEGO in Miami; unfortunately, I think they’re mostly teens. They hang out here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/floridalug/

There’s a big group of AFOLs in the Orlando/Tampa area... :)

--Mike.

Subject:
Any AFOLs in the Miami Area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.fl.mia
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 19:24:54 GMT

Just sending out a shout out to any fans of LEGO that might be out there in the Florida South Miami area.

my website is: http://www.jjsierra.com

Curious to know if I’m not alone.

Build On - J.J. Sierra

Subject:
LEGOLAND® Florida Construction Right on Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.loc.us.fl
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:13:24 GMT

LEGOLAND Construction Right on Track

By GARY WHITE
THE LEDGER

Officials say the Winter Haven attraction is set to open in 99 days

WINTER HAVEN - The countdown toward the opening of LEGOLNAD® Florida has passed the 100-day mark.

As of today, just 99 days remain until the attraction’s scheduled first day, Oct. 15, at the former Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven.

Construction is on track, and hiring is in high gear, LEGOLAND Florida spokeswoman Jackie Wallace said Thursday.

“We have construction workers hard at work six days a week,” she said. “Every single day the park looks completely different. Sidewalks are being poured; pavers are being put down. It’s an incredible process.”

Wallace said construction is proceeding in all 10 zones of the park. She said several rides have been fully installed and are now being tested.

Among the rides now in place at the 150-acre property are The Royal Joust, the LEGO Technic Test Track Coaster and the Aquazone Wave Racer. Wallace said tracks are in place for several roller coasters, though the cars have not yet been installed.

About 500 construction contractors work at the LEGOLAND site on a typical day, Wallace said.

In addition, new elements of the park’s showcase, Miniland USA, are arriving each week, Wallace said. Miniland USA will feature miniature replicas of famous buildings and monuments made from millions of Lego bricks. Wallace said much of the New York City section is now in place.

The park has been overwhelmed with applicants for its front-line jobs, Wallace said. LEGOLAND Florida began posting openings for “Model Citizens” on June 1, and Wallace said more than 6,000 people have applied since then.

She said LEGOLAND has so far hired 245 of the approximately 800 front-line workers it plans to add before the opening date. Wallace said new hires will begin training and orientation in mid-August.

LEGOLAND Florida announced Wednesday on its Facebook page that it will offer preview dates for annual pass holders before the grand opening. Wallace said details will come later.

The Facebook announcement also said a free child ticket will be offered for the opening weekend with the purchase of an adult single-day ticket. Quantities of those tickets are limited.

LEGOLAND Florida has generated excitement, but so far that hasn’t yet translated into many reservations, according to one local hotel manager.

Bob Rogers, manager of the Winter Haven Days Inn, said his staff is fielding many inquiries about LEGOLAND. He said guests have plucked up more than 200 LEGOLAND brochures from the hotel’s lobby, yet so far few people have made reservations for the period around Oct. 15.

Days Inn, a partner in LEGOLAND Bed & Brick Preferred Hotel campaign, has a link on the park’s website. Rogers said the link has produced about 50 hits.

“We at the hotel are expecting in August we’re going to see reservations start coming in,” Rogers said.

Mark Jackson, director of Polk County Tourism and Sports Marketing, said the agency is gearing up for increased marketing of LEGOLAND. One example, he said, is the agency will soon promote LEGOLAND on billboards along interstates in Florida.

Jackson said his agency is also coordinating with LEGOLAND to bring international travel writers in to tour the park. He said his organization, in conjunction with the University of South Florida Polytechnic, has lined up a First LEGO League robotics competition to be held next May at LEGOLAND.

TheLedger.com

-end of report-

Subject:
LEGOLAND® Florida Announces Opening Date
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.loc.us.fl
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 13:21:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGOLAND® Florida Announces Opening Date

World’s Largest LEGOLAND Park Will Debut Saturday, October 15, 2011

May 23, 2011 (Business Wire) — To the delight of youngsters everywhere, LEGOLAND® Florida today revealed its official opening date: Saturday, October 15, 2011.

Inspired by America’s love affair with all things LEGO®, the new 150-acre theme park will cater to kids ages 2 to 12 with more than 50 “pink-knuckle” rides – from roller coasters to race cars – as well as family focused shows and attractions.

Park officials disclosed the date, a closely guarded secret since the park broke ground last year, to help families already planning vacations in the fall.

“I’d estimate 80 percent of the inquiries we’ve received have been about our opening date,” said LEGOLAND Florida sales manager Todd Andrus. “Guests are all but begging to know the date, so they can book their flights and accommodations, and purchase admission tickets.” The park also unveiled a new online reservations program to make the vacation booking experience even easier. Travelers can now book tickets, accommodations, airlines and rental cars through the LEGOLAND Florida website.

“Planning a family vacation can be daunting, especially for families with very young children,” said Andrus, a father and frequent traveler. “Packing alone is enough to overwhelm even the most organized parents. That’s why we designed our online system to be both user-friendly and convenient, allowing parents to book the essentials and then print out everything they’ll need right at home.”

The other key benefit of the program, Andrus explained, is that it features 13 preferred hotels in Central Florida that are officially endorsed by the park. Part of the “Bed & Brick” program, the hotels are all family friendly and collectively provide a range of price points and assets to accommodate different styles and budgets. Each of the hotels in the program will offer special rates and ticket/room packages.

For more information:
www.LEGOLAND.com
Facebook.com/LEGOLANDFlorida
Twitter @LEGOLANDFlorida

LEGOLAND® Florida opens October 15, 2011 and will be a 150-acre interactive theme park dedicated to families with children between the ages of 2 and 12. Located midway between Orlando and Tampa, just 45 minutes from either city center, the park features more than 50 rides, shows and attractions. There are currently four other LEGOLAND Parks in the world – LEGOLAND California in Carlsbad, LEGOLAND Billund in Denmark, LEGOLAND Deutschland near Günzburg, Germany and LEGOLAND Windsor outside of London. The LEGOLAND theme parks are a part of Merlin Entertainments Group, the second largest attractions operator in the world. For the most current information, log on to www.LEGOLANDFloridaResort.com.

MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS is the leading name in location-based, family entertainment, and has seen the most successful and dynamic growth of any company in the sector over the last five years. Europe’s Number 1 and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates over 74 attractions, six hotels/two holiday villages in 17 countries and across four continents. The company aims to deliver memorable and rewarding experiences to its 43.6 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its managers and more than 15,000 employees. Merlin Entertainments operates the following attractions – SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, The EDF Energy London Eye, Dungeons, Gardaland, LEGOLAND Discovery Centres, Alton Towers Resort, Warwick Castle, Thorpe Park, Chessington World of Adventures Resort, Heide Park, Earth Explorer, Sydney Aquarium, Sydney Wildlife World, Sydney Tower Observatory and Skywalk, Kelly Tarlton’s Antarctic Encounter Underwater World, Oceanworld Manly and Hamilton Island Koala Gallery. All brands which are distinctive, challenging and innovative – and which have great potential for growth in the future. Visit www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information.

Source: Gamutnews

-end of report-

Subject:
A small meet-up to trade Lego Minifigures at the store in Downtown Disney Orlando?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2011 15:07:43 GMT

Would anyone be interested in having a small get-together at the Lego
Imagination Center in Downtown Disney to trade minifigures?

Reading those bumps on the packages is really tough. I wasn't able to get a
complete set of Series 3, but I ended up with a few duplicates. I'm not even
going to bother trying to read the bumps for Series 4.

A trading get-together would be fun. :-) Besides, the newly-renovated store is
beautiful, and has some truly amazing new Lego statues.

Subject:
GFLUG at the Orange Blossom Special Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.org.us.gflug
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:49:24 GMT

For Immediate Release
Contact: Robin Werner

MANATEE COUNTY, FLORIDA - The Greater Florida LEGO Users Group and Train Club (GFLUG/GFLTC) is proud to announce its participation in the RealRail’s Orange Blossom Special Train Show this February 27-28, 2010 at the Manatee Civic Center.

The GFLUG/GFLTC all LEGO Gauge train layout will feature the Downtown Tampa Scene with skyscrapers. There will be multiple loops of running LEGO Trains and even more trains on display in the railroad yard. Also, don’t miss the Kids Build and Play area where you can build with thousands of LEGO Bricks!

Show details:
http://realrail.org/Shows.asp

RealRail’s Orange Blossom Special Train Show
Manatee County Convention and Civic Center
1 Haben Blvd, Palmetto, Florida

Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 10am till 4pm
Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 10am till 3pm

Admission: Adults, $7.00, kids FREE.

Directions from Tampa and St. Petersburg:

Take 275 south over the Sunshine Skyway bridge. After the Skyway, take US 19 South. 19 will end and merge with US 41. Just after this point, US 41 will split into US 41 & Business 41. Stay left on US 41 (towards Bradenton). You will go up and down 2 times (2 overpasses) and through 2 traffic lights. After that, when you come to the 3rd light, the Manatee Civic Center is on the left at the 3rd light (Haben Blvd).

--
Robin Werner
Co-Founder, GFLUG/GFLTC

Subject:
GFLUG at Tampa Train Show - Dec 19-20, 2009
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.org.us.gflug
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 01:22:47 GMT

For Immediate Release
Contact: Robin Werner

TAMPA, FLORIDA - The Greater Florida LEGO Users Group (GFLUG) is proud to announce its participation in the Tampa Model Train Show this December 19-20, 2009 at the Florida State Fairgrounds Special Events Center.

The GFLUG all LEGO Gauge train layout will feature our large Downtown Tampa scene with various skyscrapers, buildings, highways and more. There will also be a large beach scene with condos, hotels, a fishing pier and water front homes. There will be multiple loops of running LEGO Trains and even more trains on display in the large railroad yards. Also, don’t miss the Kids Build and Play area where you can build with thousands of LEGO Bricks!

Show details:

http://www.gserr.com

5th Tampa Model Train Show
December 19 and 20, 2009
Florida State Fairgrounds
Special Events Center
Martin Luther King Boulevard
Tampa, Florida

Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 9am - 5pm
Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10am - 4pm

Admission: Adults, $8.00, kids 12 and under FREE w/adult. There is a Fee for parking (so carpool with friends)

Dollar off adult coupon: http://www.gserr.com/shows/DiscountCard2.htm

--
Robin Werner
Co-Founder, GFLUG/GFLTC

Subject:
GFLTC at the Tampa Train Show - Dec. 20-21, 2008
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.org.us.gflug
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 03:46:15 GMT

For Immediate Release
Contact: Robin Werner

TAMPA, FLORIDA - The Greater Florida LEGO Train Club (GFLTC) is proud to announce its participation in the Tampa Model Train Show this December 20-21, 2008 at the Florida State Fairgrounds Special Events Center.

The GFLTC all LEGO Gauge train layout will feature our large Downtown Tampa scene with various skyscrapers, buildings, houses and more. There will be multiple loops of running LEGO Trains and even more trains on display in the expanded railroad yard. Also, don’t miss the Kids Build and Play area where you can build with thousands of LEGO Bricks!

Show details:

http://www.gserr.com

4th Tampa Model Train Show
December 20 and 21, 2008
Florida State Fairgrounds
Special Events Center
Martin Luther King Boulevard
Tampa, Florida

Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 9am - 5pm
Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10am - 4pm

Admission: Adults, $8.00, kids 12 and under FREE w/adult.
There is a Fee for parking (so carpool with friends)

Dollar off adult coupon:
http://www.gserr.com/shows/DiscountCard2.htm

--
Robin Werner
President and Co-Founder, GFLTC

Re: Lego artist needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:37:40 GMT

In lugnet.events, Carolyn Redmond wrote:
Hello,

I work for an event planning company in Philadelphia and we are in need of an
expert Lego artist for an event in Orlando on February 25-28. We are looking for
someone to construct either a 6'x4'x2' bridge or a giant seashell (approximately
the same size) for an exhibit booth. Ideally, the individual would build the
structure in front of exhibit attendees during the afternoons of these days. If
necessary, we are open to some pieces being built ahead of time to allow for
construction time.

This is a compensated job. We can discuss further details off-line.

If you are interested and available, please email me a reply post. If you have
any photo samples of your work, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Hi the pro builders are a good lot, Nathan does custom work (called the brick
artist), you can also check with the clubs, some of them do amazing work as
well.

www.brickmuseum.net

Dan

Subject:
Lego artist needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.loc.us.fl.orl
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:12:48 GMT

Hello,

I work for an event planning company in Philadelphia and we are in need of an
expert Lego artist for an event in Orlando on February 25-28. We are looking for
someone to construct either a 6'x4'x2' bridge or a giant seashell (approximately
the same size) for an exhibit booth. Ideally, the individual would build the
structure in front of exhibit attendees during the afternoons of these days. If
necessary, we are open to some pieces being built ahead of time to allow for
construction time.

This is a compensated job. We can discuss further details off-line.

If you are interested and available, please email me a reply post. If you have
any photo samples of your work, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carolyn

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact