 Local / Italia / 359
358  |  360
Subject:
Dreaming of a European Legofest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.it, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.no, lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.loc.se, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.cz, lugnet.loc.ee, lugnet.loc.gr, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.hu, lugnet.loc.pl, lugnet.loc.ru
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 12:12:15 GMT

The great experience of meeting in person other Lego enthusiasts at the
MindFest and at some Italian Legofests, makes me dream of a European Legofest.

Some remarks about this topic (talking freely):

- Saying "European" I use the term in its geographical meaning. I don't care
at all about any political issue or about countries that are or are not
members of the EU.

- "European" means that it takes place somewhere in Europe to make it easier
for European people to join, but the gathering should be IMO open to anybody
coming from anywhere in the world.

- This project is meaningful only if it collects enough interest and
participants. A meeting of three people could be fun but it's not a Legofest
IMHO.

- To minimise the effort for the participants to join the meeting, it should
take place at a location very close to the geographical "center of gravity" of
the incoming people. This sounds me like north of France, but it obviously
depends on where the coming people are from, and mostly depends on who is
going to candidate to organise the meeting.

- Organising such a meeting will very likely require a strong logistic effort.
The local group who kindly offer to support the meeting in their country must
be aware that this means to find a proper place to meet, cheap accommodations
for the ones who sleep there, food supplies, etc.

- The participants might be asked to pay a small subscription fee to help the
hosting group cover the costs.

- The meeting should last at least two days to allow people coming from let's
say 1000km to arrive and have time to enjoy the party. A weekend would
probably be ideal.

- If this project takes off, we probably need a lot of time to set it up. We
could plan it for next spring or summer. Summer vacation period may be a good
period for those who want to take this as chance to have a trip with the
family.

- I'm not particularly concerned about the language. Most of us non-English
Europeans speak English to some degree.

Am I alone in this dream or is there anybody who shares it?

Your comments and thoughts are very welcome .

(followup-to: lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org)

Mario

Web page: http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari
LUGNET member page:  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=22
Proud member of ItLUG: http://www.itlug.org