 Local / Canada / Ontario / 463
Re: Id like to announce the birth of WHaCKaLuG.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 15:47:33 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Janey C. L. Gunning wrote:

   Our inaugural meeting is set!

Date: 7PM on Sunday June 28th

Some insight - Please indulge a mini background essay.

My LUGS by JRB AKA, the abridged version of my personal story plus bonus and hopefully useful WIP FAQ.

Hi, my name is Janey, and Im a construction toy addict.

History... A long long long time ago, I kid you not, I had no idea there were other adults that built with bricks. I was one of the many (as I like to call them) “Lugless”, meaning I had no affiliation, formal or informal with any other adults that also enjoy this hobby. So, I bought Lego and I built alone, and my friends and family raised an eyebrow (sometimes inquisitively, often disapprovingly). I pretty much kept my hobby to myself not due to shame, but more due to the fact that no one else “got it”. Eventually, mostly by accident, I came to find out that I am NOT the only Lego collector on the planet (imagine my shock), and there were tons of other ADULTS building in their basement or living-room as well. That opened a whole new avenue to my hobby.

Fast forward to today... Today I am happy to belong to a number of LUGS, both online and in real life. Some I run or have run, or am active with and some I just observe. They seem to run the whole gamut of what they offer, what they accomplish and how they exist. Im not an expert on any, and Im only familiar with a small portion of them, but I do think I can answer a few questions to those of you that are lurking in the background, unsure to being very interested about wanting to become involved in a local Lug.

At least I can answer them in light of the direction we want WhaCKaLuG to take.

So right now, I want to take this time to explain just a bit more. Just as an FYI, both Jenn and I are pretty laid back, and plan on focussing this group as fun, informative and seriously informal. So, if you are new to the hobby, or if you have been a Lego fan for years, if you are seller, collector, or builder of any skill level, or you just want to come out to check out what the fuss is about, all are welcome and encouraged.

You may be asking yourself some or all of the following questions...

What do a people in WHaCKaLuG do? For now, our plan is to met once a month to enjoy each others company, talk Lego, share information what we are building, doing, buying and selling. We encourage members to be involved in “show and tell” if they are interest to do so. So please feel free to bring along WIPS (works in progress) or pictures of projects for feedback or discussion. As well, or newly released sets (so other members can have a close up look), or odd Lego items that perhaps are not easy to find in stores, or vintage pieces, or notable in some way always make for interesting dinner conversation.

Are you all freaks? Yes, (wink-smile). Isnt being different wonderful?

Will you have expectations of me? There is no expectations of a member aside from being respectful to our other members. If you just want to quietly observe, please feel free to do so. Keep in mind, you get out of a group what you put into it, so if you come with the idea of having fun, more than likely you will. Jenn and I are both pretty outgoing, so you can be rest assured we will do our best to make you feel welcomed.

What if I am just a seller? We welcome people from ALL aspects of the hobby.

What if I am just a builder? We welcome people from ALL aspects of the hobby.

What if I am just a collector? We welcome people from ALL aspects of the hobby. (See the trend here?)

What if I don’t own any/much Lego at all? You do not have to have a huge collection, or a collection at all. In fact some awesome builders I know have extremely small collections in comparison to some other builders. Keep in mind that this is a Lego group, so you really must have some interest in Lego bricks.

Is this a Lego train group? ... Lego Robotic group? ... Lego “name theme here” group? No, we are not specialized in any one theme of Lego, we are open to all types of building and collecting.

What if my family thinks my hobby is stupid? Many of us have faced this at some time throughout our hobby, the majority of us have all felt disapproving looks over the years, but I think most people would agree with me, in time, as your own confidence builds as a Lego builder or collector, you will find their input less important. Many people find having other builders as friends does help in minimizing the boring or glazed look your non-Lego friends may of perfected.

Can my child join the group? While we totally appreciate your childs interest and devotion to Lego, the answer is no, this group is for adults, therefore, all members must be drinking age or up.

Will your group mentor my child? While we totally appreciate your childs interest and devotion to Lego, the answer is no. There are many other people better qualified for something like this.

What if I want to bring my child to a meeting? Off the top, this is an adult group. Our activities and discussions are geared towards adults. So yes, you may bring your child, but do so at your own risk. Keep in mind, Lego topics do not always stay 100% focussed and often we veer off topic. Also notable, we are a group of adults, so language may be questionable for young viewers. You are responsible for your child at all times, as many adults in this group are enjoying “child-free” adult time we ask that your child is well behaved and while he or she may join in conversations, its your responsibility to be sure they do not dominate those conversations.

Isnt the name WhaCKaLuG a bit silly? Short answer, yes. Long answer, yes, and that is exactly the sort of feeling the founders want to represent. This hobby is fun, not everything in life has to be taken so seriously, and the letters also allowed us to show how encompassing and including we want this group to be by including but not limited to Waterloo, Hamilton, Cambridge, Kitchener, London, and Guelph.

Is WHaCKaLuG the only LUG in Ontario? No, there is a LUG in Ottawa (ParLUGment), Toronto (rtl) and Ontario (OBB).

Are you trying to steal other LUGS members? No, while we welcome builders from other LUGS, there is enough population and interests in this area to justify our own LUG.

Is the OBB (Ontario Brick Builders) going to be replaced by WHaCKaLuG? No, the OBB will continue to operate as normal, which means, business like usual (Dave K will continue to run and organise the Train Shows, and I will continue to run the Hobby Show) The OBB never meets on a regular basis, it’s a blanket organisation for our public shows that includes members from ParLUGment, rtl, the LUGless, and now will include WhaCKaLuG as well.

Do you have any long term goals? They are in the development stages and will be determined by how many regular and dependable members we have.

Do you need an treasurer/secretary? No, we will not be collecting any membership dues, nor keeping formal minutes, there will no formal meeting procedures for a group of this informal nature. Thankfully no one will have to second that, smile.

Do you accept donations? Yes, in the form of bricks or money, the group would eventually like to have a few staples for events and activities.

What do I get out of being a member? Exactly what you put into it. If you come ready to share, have fun and be ready to laugh, that is exactly what you will get out of it. Jenn and I are not experts in any one field of this hobby, nor do we pretend to be. Collectively we both have some interesting experience and a tad bit of insight, and adding to that all of what our members that will join over the years will add, that is a promising depository of Lego goodness. You hopefully will make friends, have good times, and perhaps we ALL can learn a few things from each other. Worse case scenario, you get out of the house for the night, and have a place to share some insight about a hobby that others can finally understand.

So, if you made it this far, come on out, give us a try... you have nothing to lose, and a whole lot to gain.

Cheers, Janey “Red Brick”