 Local / Canada / 1162
Re: Canada Lego Fest ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.monlug, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 05:33:34 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi y'all,

As an outsider who's been to two Brickfests, and arranged an event within
one of them, I have a few suggestions... of course, I probably wont make it
to your fest so these are just totally informal ideas for ya to think about.

Those who post in this thread must attend this event, no exceptions, doesn't
matter who posts and where you're from, Boston, Israel, or wherever else,
those are the rules.  :-P

~Adam

In lugnet.loc.ca, Chris Magno writes:
as for  CANLUG --(Canadian Lego User Gathering)

Other than a BIG hall rented for a few days, with 24/h access, and maybe
a breakout room or 2, would the event not run itself?

It probably would, yes. However, I think it's fair to say that:
Brickfest 2000 was mostly unorganized and it went great.
Brickfest 2001 was extremely organized and well planned (by the amazing
Christina Hitchcock) and it was *stunning*.

The same result was applicable on small scale to the castle display. Last
year most of it was Christina's, and other people's MOCs were oddballs. This
year we encouraged people to bring MOCs for a big village display, partially
planned it, and had the event a bit more mapped out. It got people involved
and we all had lots of fun. Next year we will learn from this year's
mistakes and make it even better. And so forth.

The effort people put into the event ahead of time SHOWS. That doesn't mean
you can't have a blast with an unorganized fest; just keep it in mind.

picture this:

on one half of the room, an on going robot game, the same robots
fighting over and over again.  when people get bored of that, they
wander over to the second half of the room and watch a big train
layout.   (then when they see the train go around the track once, they
get bored and leave, back to Robots.)

Pictured... sounds good, I know you up north are mainly organized around
those two topics... so that's fair.

maybe we have a corner dedicated to peoples displays.  VERY informal, we
can set up row upon row of tables and if people want to grab a chair and
set up a MOC then it can be "trade show" like.

You probably want more than just a corner. People tend to bring a lot of stuff!

in one "room" we can lock up all the brick warz (loonies) and they can
have a 3 day war hammer game.   every couple of hours we throw in a bag
of chips and a case of coke.  they'll be set.

LOL! Yes. That worked in BF too.

that leaves 2 corners and a room for whatever else we want.

self running, and very come as you are.

Which is fine if you want it that way! I'm sure you'll have tons of fun.
Rock on!

-Shiri