 Local / Australia / Queensland / Brisbane / *405 (-10)
Re: Brislug Meeting, Febuary 2008 - on behalf of Aaron Andrews
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:36:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri, Peter Parsons wrote:
Well Well
what a strange way to organise a BRISLUG get together??
Normally every one has everyones Email and sends out an invitation as we don't
all spent our hours of leasure time on LUGNET.

As a matter of fact I can't even remember seeing this guy (Aaron) at any of the
last regular meets.
When did we meet you and invite you to BRISLUG as a member??
How many showed up 3??
Perhaps if you want to organise a meet you should go about it the old way and
email all members to gauge a suitable date and venue. When you have the answers
you then let it be known on LUGNET so that non members know it is on.

Mate we have had some fantastic meets in the past (almost 10 years if my memory
is right) when we had up in the 15 people area (when they are done right not
just out of the blue)

I can even name some who where at the very first meeting at Mark Harrison's
place many many years ago when we where called BUGS.

Tim was there, so was Mel (now in Germany), Gary was thereI think Kerry missed
that one, I think Ken Wilson was at that one, Tarra was at that one too.First
time I met Aaron Coghill from the South Coast. Tim has only just come home from
England so a lot of water passed under BRISLUG bridges since he was at any,
perhaps he should refresh his original contact list before he left it certainly
would have helped you.

Your enthusiam is good you just need to plan better.
Remember an old saying that I picked up in the "Green Machine"
"Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

Hope this may help you
A find out all the right contacts
B organise a meet much better and with heaps of people.

Cheers
Peter Parsons
LUGNET No 348
Member of BRISLUG
Founding Member of BLTG (Brisbane Lego Train Group)

Hi Peter,

I appologise if I've stepped on any toes or bruised any egos.

I am a very active member of the online community, in varying capacities, &
quite well known (online) as a  result - not to blow my own horn, & I won't
bother you with details.  But I only became active in the community around
September 2006, about the same time I started searching for LEGO Users' Groups
in my local area.

My search quickly lead me here, where I signed up on the mailing list, & like
any good newbie sat back & waited for something to happen.  & waited...  &
waited some more...

As far as myself, LUGnet, & Google.com was concerned this was the only place
where BrisLUG existed, I couldn't find any over avenues to pursue & if there
were (which obviously by the serious & discouraging tone of your original post
there must be)they were not easily accessable or publicised.

Finally Al posted up an invite to a "BrisLUG" meet (in Novermber 2006 I think) &
I replied & introduced myself - still very green - & asked if I could come
along.  Unfortunetly & didn't make the meet out of a combination of lack of baby
sitter for my then 2 year old & the fact I was a little freaked out by the
unknowns I was about to confront!  I really regret not going now...

So I sat out another 12 months of apparent inactivity, but still really wanted
to get involved in the local community, so after a little contact with Tim
online (& without his consultation), I decided this year to make the first step
& offer my place & a time to meet.  After seeing that only 5-6 people showed up
to Al's & after chatting with Tim I figured that an informal approach might be
best at first, & give me an oppertunity to sound out the community.

I learnt alot from Kerry & the guys that day about our local community.  I was
also assured that there was no official list of members in BrisLUG & this
confirmed all my previous observations.

However, I would love to participate & I am sure I can contribute to town
layouts & other distractions beyond, yet, supporting the train theme - although
my interests stretch to nearly all LEGO themes.  Tim Gould & myself have been
discussing doing a co-opertive effort on a diorama for some time now.

So I would appreciate being schooled in the "correct" process to how I am to
firstly contact, then obtain membership & become incolved in our local
communtiy.

You can see examples of my work on...

Brickshelf - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=DARKspawn
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkspawn

Cheers
Aaron Andrews
Community Member, if only in my own mind

Re: Brislug Meeting, Febuary 2008 - on behalf of Aaron Andrews
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:53:38 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri, Kerry Raymond wrote:
what a strange way to organise a BRISLUG get together??

Peter,

The archives of this LUGnet newsgroup are littered with calls for people to
gather in the name of Lego, including the first ever Brisbane meeting at
Mark Harrison's place (he offered his home as a venue on 22 Sept 2000 in
this very newsgroup). Since Aaron probably doesn't have everyone's email
addresses, he could hardly have emailed everyone.

Aaron's first mention of the meeting at his home was on 21 Jan in this
newsgroup, some weeks prior to the gathering. And up at Ipswich Railway
Museum the week before Aaron's meeting I mentioned the meeting at Aaron's
(whether or not you were there at the time I cannot recall) but certainly a
couple of those present responded to me saying they wouldn't be able to make
it.

So I don't think there was any lack of notice or information about the
meeting, but perhaps you didn't pick up on it as you were rather busy with
moving house and doing your display at the library around that time.

Perhaps we should organise a meeting up at Ipswich in order to show off the
layouts once they are more established. Tim Gould brought some of his trains
to Aaron's, which I think you would like to see. And Aaron had some
excellent castle work which might be useful in a display; I was particularly
impressed at his external and internal detailing -- somewhat reminiscent of
Mel's style.

Kerry

OK Kerry I stand corrected
Perhaps I have not been as involved in the Lego schene as I once was?
My appologies for the sand paper.

Peter Parsons

Re: Brislug Meeting, Febuary 2008 - on behalf of Aaron Andrews
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:24:54 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:21:06 GMT

Hi guys =)

The meeting will be held on Febuary 9th at 12 PM, at my
humble abode on the Southside of Brisbane.  Everyone is to
bring a MOC for show & tell & those who don't will be
ridiculed as slackers!  I will provide  non-alcoholic
drinks & enough food to graze on for the duration.  Feel
free to BYO drinks.

Send me an email at d4rkspawn(at)gmail(dot)com, & I'll send
you my exact address & phone number so noone gets lost.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Cheers
Aaron Andrews

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:36:28 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Timothy Gould wrote:
Aaron is having trouble posting so I'm posting this on his behalf.

------

Hi guys =)

The meeting will be held on Febuary 9th at 12 PM, at my
humble abode on the Southside of Brisbane.  Everyone is to
bring a MOC for show & tell & those who don't will be
ridiculed as slackers!  I will provide  non-alcoholic
drinks & enough food to graze on for the duration.  Feel
free to BYO drinks.

Send me an email at d4rkspawn(at)gmail(dot)com, & I'll send
you my exact address & phone number so noone gets lost.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Cheers
Aaron Andrews

I went and I had fun! Many thanks to Aaron for arranging it.

It was a small meeting with an awful lot of MOCs on display. Aaron has some
pictures up (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=300462).

Tim

omg I can post again!  A flood of confirmations just came through for my many
attempts at posting over the last couple of weeks.

Thanks heaps Tim for sorting it out for me in the end.  A great time was had by
all & it was great meeting you guys.  The MOC presentation was top-notch too =)

Hopefully we can do this again soon - like not in another 12 months! - & maybe
get a bit more structure happening next time, that or beer, I'm good with
either.

Cheers
Aaron

Re: Brislug Meeting, Febuary 2008 - on behalf of Aaron Andrews
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:48:10 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Bricks to the World opinions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:57:06 GMT

Can anyone offer an opinion of this online store(www.bttw.com.au)?

I have purchased through BrickNet, and very happy with the purchase so
far, but unfortunately, BN does not have everything that I need/want.

Subject:
9v parts available on PAB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:55:40 GMT

Just thought I drop a note that the 9v tracks and motors are once again
available through PAB.

Re: S@H Deliveries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:01:29 GMT

If I am not home at the time of delivery, does the driver just dump the
package, or do they leave contact details?

Yeah they just dump it, I've been home when they deliver & they don't even
bother knocking ;)

I have also been looking at Amazon for my Lego supplies, because of
their reliability, but there is a catch as some of the items cannot be
sent outside the US, or Amazon is acting as an agent for a third party
such as Target USA.

There's always a catch isn't there ...

Re: S@H Deliveries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:26:17 GMT

DARKspawn wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri, Wayne Jackson wrote:
Are these deliveries done by courier, or via AusPost?

Hi Wayne,

Hi DARKspawn,

Courier, & they are sent from Germany I think, & typically take 3 weeks for
standard delivery =(.  Shipping will cost AU$30 for any order under $100 & more
if exceeding that.

If I am not home at the time of delivery, does the driver just dump the
package, or do they leave contact details?

I've been meaning to try Amazon as I have ordered a few books from them & I'm
pretty sure their delivery time is less than 2 weeks

Amazon US and UK have been good.  I have ordered DVD's, books and CD
through both and with only one problem - a parcel did not arrive, but
Amazon UK replaced it without any further troubles.

I have also been looking at Amazon for my Lego supplies, because of
their reliability, but there is a catch as some of the items cannot be
sent outside the US, or Amazon is acting as an agent for a third party
such as Target USA.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact