 Local / Australia / 3669
Re: Anyone seen this at a reasonable price?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 00:50:30 GMT

Martin Scragg wrote in message ...

I am looking for the 6977 Arachnoid Star Base for a reasonable price.  I • saw
some at TRU during their %25 off sale for around $50, but didn't want one
then.  I have seen it since for $95, but am looking for somewhere cheaper.
Anyone knows where in Oz I can get it cheap, prefer Melbourne, but
interstate would be ok for the right price?

I've been looking too... :-)

It was one of the things I looked for during TRU's %25 off sale. Annoyingly,
the huge stack of them sitting for nearly two _years_ at Chadstone had
mysteriously disappeared, as had the ones on clearance at the City store,
barely a week before the sale began. I asked after them, but the store
people were either too dumb or too lazy to determine their whereabouts. I
checked all TRU stores in Melbourne; the only ones I found were at Knox, is
this where you saw them Martin, or was it Frankston?
Initially I decided not to take them because the boxes were partly opened,
but the next day I changed my mind and came back but they were gone. That's
right, three 6977's sold in _one_ day. That HAS to be some sort of record!

My theory is that TRU got sick and tired of them sitting around and weren't
willing to drop them below $57 (even though the 25% off took them down to
$43!!!), and forced LA to take them back where they will either be A) forced
upon the smaller toy chains (can you say UFO sets?) or B) turned into
landfill like they did with the tens (hundreds?) of thousands worth of spare
parts they had some years ago.

It's funny, isn't it? You know, two years at $99 and they sell not a one.
Put them at $43 and they sell like hot cakes. But no, they've got to waste
yet more money carting them interstate and bulldozing them into the ground.
You think they'd figure it out... *sigh*

But of course, if the set had been a real one instead of juniorised crud,
this never would have happened... pay heed, TLC.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/