 Local / Australia / 12959
Re: Battle! (was Re: loc.au stats (was - all quiet on the loc.au front))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:02:23 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin wrote:

Not enough .loc.au statistics?

Ha!  More to this that you might think :-)  The lack of stats certainly adds to
the the general sense of decrepitude.  Which is not to confer onerous
responsibility on Richie.  This is a symptom, not a cause.

Overall there seems to be a bit of a pall over things generally.

Maybe this is just in my little neck of the woods, but the failure of
Afghanistan and Iraq, the re-election of Howard and Bush, Lego's fixation with
working inside the creative limits imposed by Star Wars and Harry Potter instead
of beyond in some more creative place, Australia's continued fixation with long
and longer working days and more unpaid overtime, its all just a bit bley.  The
years long wave of communal joy that has been Lugnet seems to be receding.  On
the upside, waves are forever coming and going, so it will likely return of
itself.

Failure of Afghanistan ? Kabul is perfectly contained, drug production is
approaching capacity and the warlords' payroll is taken care of.

Iraq ? Just re-install Saddam, with the warning to stay out of trouble or we'll
clone your sons and kill them again.

In the meantime, if I was to think about something that would stir the spirit,
get the creative juices flowing, and create a bit of Lugnet community interest,
one word comes to mind.

BRIK WARS!

<<pauses for Starship Trooper theme music>>

So I suggest a Brik Wars fest one weekend in January.

The dimensions of Brik Wars include:

Venue
Period
Points per team
Number of players
Scenario
Terrain
Game Master

I am wide open open to suggestions on any of these, and include my own
suggestions below:

Venue:  My place in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales  (I know its far,
but if its at my place then I can lay on some decent terrain)

In fact, at minifig scale, the Southern Highlands could pass for the Hindu Kush.
We might need some Agent Medium-Yellow Orange though and some Santa Snow for the
pointiest bits.

Period:  Medieval (sticks, stones and swords - no firearms), or Napoleonic wars,
or even modern day (Vietnam?)

What's more modern day than the War on Terror. Urban warfare, I could finally
use my tan stockpile, we could blow up a few unipalms, defuse a few IUDs (these
are IEDs that don't end up working, U = Unexploded).

Points:  300 worked for our last fest, but the would could have been improved by
more of Richie's cavalry, so maybe 350?

Number of players: 4 - 6 seems to be pretty ideal based on experience - one of
my sons would be only too pleased to help make up the numbers

Scenario:  The 'attack the town' thingie seemed to work a treat in the last one,
some simple variation on this would seem to be fine

Terrain:  1 x 2m, town or ruins to provide cover and defence

Game Master: Have to think about what sort of inducement would be necessary in
order to get James the Just to the table

We could always outbid you to keep him away, Just kidding ;^)

If we're:
medieval, I'm thinking cavalry and infantry, maybe even a squad of MB green
skinned ogre types (Vorgans)

Napoleonic, red or blue coat squads similar to last time, but maybe an extra
cannon and limber, and no you don't need red coats or blue coats, there are
plenty of torsos that can make it as Napoleonic, and failing that you can
download some of Kev's trosos, print them onto labels, and set to.

Modern day, helicopter borne troopers (but yes I'm leaning to MB again - no
matter, the Lego purist armies can show me the Lego superiority by carving me up
- if they can ;-)

I blame myself for turning you heretical, that's the result of bringing the MB
Battleship down south in 2000.

Never mind if you don't have the necessaries to build your own army either.  I
do, as do a few others.  Build what you can and tell me what you need.  If I
know you well enough, I'll let you borrow some of mine (and even mail the bits
and bobs to you so that you can take your pics as below.

And never mind if you don't know enough about Brik Wars to tot up the points for
your troopers.  The materials are all online, and if you've had a whack at it
and can't make it work, there are quite a few of us who can help out.

In terms of community, post the story and stats of your troop, maybe even a few
pics.  We can snap pics at the battlefield, and appoint a war correspondent to
recount the battle - this makes a splendid webpage.

So have a think and see whether this is a goer.  Never mind if no-one's
interested, my sons and I will press on with it ourselves.  We'll probably be
playing every week or so through January anyway :-)

What this really needs now is a snappy name.

What about 'Weapons of Moss Vale Destruction' ?

All that is springing to mind is 'The Hiding in the Highlands', but I readily
confess to being hopeless at naming things, and I'm wide open to anything with
the possible exception of "The Great Breathe Life into Loc Au Brik Wars
Competition"

Oh, and no prizes, other than the bracing vista of a Brik Wars battlefield
littered with the body parts of Brik Wars troopers who died doing what they love
most in all the universe, and the sweet smell of victory, which brings with it
the chance to Battle! again...

pete.w (Sydney's so moist, it smells like...,it smells like...Victoria)