 Local / Australia / 11836
Re: Australian Brickfest? 2005 - Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.events, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:24:43 GMT

BTW, non-Aussies and wanna-be Aussies can fill this out too ;)... I guess I
should fill this out ;)

From reading past comments of others... I guess it won't matter if I display
some of my own sarcasm...

(silly cap on)

In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Brown wrote:
RE: An Australian Brickfest type event for the year 2005.

Hi all, To help things move along, I thought it might be a good idea and some
fun for all interested, to answer the below... (copy and paste the following
questions)

Where are you from?

A place that reaches around 42 degrees in late Summer, called Brisbane.

What is your occupation and who do you work for?

Sometimes I wonder myself... and the same answer for that question too... (gosh,
who came up with these anyway????)...

What should Australia’s first larger private/public event/show/convention/fest
etc be called? (Please, only three choices).

Hmmmm Brixpo? BDU05? (Bricks Down Under 2005) - Bricks 'R' Oz? - BRICKAR005?
(brick roo (kangaroo) 005 (year 2005) but looks like brick a roo's ;))

Oh, that was four... ;)

Where should the event be held?
• Melbourne
• Sydney
• Adelaide
• Perth
• Brisbane
• Other?

My LEGO room... "Honey, I blew up the Minifigs" = instant megafest!

Sydney mainly cause of it's centralness...

When should it take place?
• During School Holidays?
• After School Holidays?
• June long weekend?
• Early 2005?
• Late 2005?
• 2006?
• Other

Doesn't matter as long as it happens...

How many days should the event take place over? Answering that, how many days
would you attend the event?

Whatever is needed, also depends on what is on offer for entertainment.

Should there be an entry fee/ticket and how much should the fee/ticket cost? How
much would you be willing to pay?

I'd pay whatever is in my wallet at the time.

How many people do you think would attend such an event?
• Less than 30
• 30
• 50 or more
• 100
• Hundreds
• Other

Hopefully more than just myself and a minifig in my pocket.

(Hopefully a lot more than expected).

Would you prefer it if the LEGO group/company were involved or would you prefer
for them not to be?

Yes I would, it would nice to see them work along side us to help each other
out, they provide us with as much support to make this a success and we try to
bring in interest to make them sales/fans and more AFOL's and the like and
promote LEGO in general etc...

Would you like to help organise it? If so how would you like to participate?

Sure, why not... I'll start with bringing some tissues... we'll need them
because it was a disaster or because it was so beautiful, we cried happy
tears...

But, yes I would if others wouldn't mind that happening... I promise to behave
;)

Would you want it to attract others from other nations?

Yeah sure, George Bush would be great to attract along... we could have a
competition of who can sculpt his head out of LEGO, I'm sure we'd have some
lovely looking ______ heads ;)

How could/would the event be better than what other events around the world have
to offer?

We could look at what others have to offer and either do similar or make better
or come up with things they didn't think of, make it as entertaining as
possible.

Who would you like to attend?
• AFOLs only
• Public
• Both

Everyone! and bring ya dogs and cats too... actually, maybe not they need
somewhere to pee.

What would you like to see at the event?

Everything I have ever dreamt of seeing in an Australian LEGO Convention kinda
thingy.  So many things that you'd need more than a day or two.

How should it be organised?

With great and well thought-out planning, with some great sponsorship and a
bunch of great AFOL's helping out in every possible way they can.

What sort of Audience should the event attract?
• AFOLs only
• School Children and Children
• Everyone

Everyone possible! We need more AFOL/KFOL :)

If the event turned out to be a success, would you attend another?
If yes, when?
• The year after
• Two years time
• Never

Yep, whenever poss.

If you would attend the next one should it be held in the same place again or
another destination in another state?

Depends how well the first went.. otherwise somewhere different would be good,
unless people were expecting it to be at the same place next year.

Would you donate any of your ‘unwanted’ LEGO to the East Timor Children? (If
there were a deposit box at the event etc).

Yes, why not? I don't use those ugly yucky (discoloured - oh wait, that's the
new grey... ;) lol j/k!) pieces in my collection

Do you think it would be a cool idea if LEGO organised a RLD (Red Letter Day -
refer to UK posts) type event, for those who were interested?

Yes, and what I meant by this who were/are all confused, is that at part of that
event they have a nice large pile of unusual LEGO and everyone gets to take home
I think 1-2 KG of it :), wouldn't that be nice... I didn't mean having the whole
show like they do, but some of it would be good, like that.

Do you think it would be cool if LEGO gave us a chance (if ever possible) to buy
bulk bricks from the event?

Yes, that would be such a nice gesture ;) But it would be just awesome!!! I'd be
like a kid in a candystore trying out all the new flavours.

Would you like to buy stuff not normally available to us at the event?

Yes I would! would be cool if there was some goodies that we didn't expect. <--
note I said 'goodies'.

Would you like to see a ‘World Record’ type activity held at the event?

For kids, that would be interesting and it's not like LEGO haven't done this
here in Australia either.

Would you like to see a Commemorative Brick, especially made for us, at the
event? (Like the Promotional Duplo bricks).

Yes I would! with a kangaroo on one side (with a brick in his pouch) and some
details on the otherside... and yes, I do collect these :D

If you were from Overseas, would you like to attend an event like this held in
Australia?  If so, would you like to contribute anything towards it? (Display,
Presentation etc).

Sorry, that should have said 'are' and not were...

What  do you think would be the overall ideal event to be held for Australia’s
first large event like this? (besides whatever LEGO already do and the National
meets).

To have an awesome opening, a lot of interest, people asking us questions and
basically having a good time in all areas... and then at the end of it all,
seeing them walking out with large carry bags full of LEGO they bought that was
sold there :D

What was the last event/show/convention/fest etc did you last attend that meant
the most to you?  What was the highlight of it?

I guess the meet we had in Brisbane... and seeing people from other parts of OZ
turn up!

Anything I have missed that you would like to add?

yep most likely... as always...

Have fun :)

Mel

Mel, again... (who is convinced that Marge Simpson keeps a stack of 2x2 bricks,
making her hair high and straight).

(silly cap off)