 Local / Australia / 11809
Re: Australian Brickfest? 2005 - Survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.events, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:29:12 GMT

Where are you from?

Brisbane

What is your occupation and who do you work for?

Distinguished Research Leader, Cooperative Research Centre for Enterprise
Distributed Systems Technology
Adjunct Professor, School of Information Technology and Electrical
Engineering, The University of Queensland
E-tail worker, ABStralia on bricklink

What should Australia's first larger private/public • event/show/convention/fest
etc be called? (Please, only three choices).

Well, for the mug punters, I reckon you gotta have an Oz in it and gotta
have a year in it. Brick Oz 2004, LegOz 04, etc.

For the cognoscenti, you could call it Outback Airtrip.

Where should the event be held?
. Melbourne
. Sydney
. Adelaide
. Perth
. Brisbane
. Other?

Melbourne because it isn't formerly a coffee plantation.
Sydney because it isn't formerly a medieval Tuscan university.
Perth because it isn't formerly an Antarctic penguin colony.
Brisbane because it isn't formerly a host city for the Eurovision Song
Contest.
Other? Anywhere that isn't formerly a place whose only claim to fame is what
it formerly wasn't.

More seriously, anywhere you can get cheap-ish flights to from most other
parts of Oz to maximize participation.

When should it take place?
. During School Holidays?
. After School Holidays?
. June long weekend?
. Early 2005?
. Late 2005?
. 2006?
. Other

Long weekend. Avoid school holidays.

How many days should the event take place over? Answering that, how many • days
would you attend the event?

I'd be prepared to hang out for 3 days if there was enough happening.
Brickwars does not count as "enough", unless I am allowed to introduce the
Mornington Crescent variation (in which the battle takes place on a map of
the London Underground).

Should there be an entry fee/ticket and how much should the fee/ticket
cost? >How much would you be willing to pay?

I'd probably pay up to $200 for a long weekend packed with brick-related
entertainments.

How many people do you think would attend such an event?
. Less than 30
. 30
. 50 or more
. 100
. Hundreds
. Other

I'd be impressed if we could get 50 adults (AFOLs, not counting their
partners and other assorted relatives).

Would you prefer it if the LEGO group/company were involved or would you • prefer
for them not to be?

Rule 1 of any event. Get sponsorship.
Rule 2. See rule 1.

Lego is the obvious sponsor. Lego Australia has a less than impressive track
record in this regard, but maybe we can get LD to apply some pressure.

One trick might be to find out from them when/where they are running a Lego
show and bolt our event onto the side of it somehow. That could give us a
large public display and publicity through World Club for no effort on our
part.

I think the company should be involved - a Jake Mckee Talk would be a Very • Good
Thing(tm) and would inspire any audience that attended.

Well, anyone who has ever heard of Jake, which is probably the same people
as reading this news thread! My reading of the Courier-Mail (my daily dose
of popular culture, since I refuse to watch Channel 10) tells me that Jake
is not a household name in Australia compared with (say) John Howard, Cathy
Freeman, and Sebastian the Idol.

Would you like to help organise it? If so how would you like to
participate?

Nope. I would like to sit on the sidelines and cast nasturtiums.

Would you want it to attract others from other nations?

They're welcome but I would not expect very many, so I would not organise it
according to their wants.

How could/would the event be better than what other events around the • world have
to offer?

It would be better for Australians because it would be a heck of a lot
cheaper to attend than other similar events around the world.
Frankly, we aren't exactly in competition until Qantas and Virgin start
offering $29 flights to the USA and Europe.

Who would you like to attend?
. AFOLs only
. Public
. Both

Well, personally I want to hand out with AFOLs. However, for publicity and
Lego sponsorship, you probably need to get the public involved to some
extent.

What would you like to see at the event?

MOCs, building competitions, train layouts, moon bases, talks on MLCAD,
robotics, talks by Jake

A giant building event is useful for the publicity and the public
involvement. Maybe we could do a public event in which people bring some
bricks to donate to East Timor (or children's hospitals or some worthy cause
of choice) and donate them by adding them into the giant building event.
Something like a giant rainbow serpent would be suitable (as you get
reconciliation brownie points, it can be arbitrarily long, and the mishmash
of colours don't matter). Actually you probably need two, one for Lego and
one for Duplo. You have plenty of bricks in bags (say $5 or $10 worth) for
people to buy who come along without their own bricks. If you hold the event
in Sydney, you could do something like build the snakes around the Opera
House, across the harbour bridge or something like that.

How should it be organised?

Once you go beyond a relatively small event or start involving the public,
you get into public liability issues. You probably need to get Lego or the
charity group that you are assisting to provide the organisational structure
(and public liability insurance) that are needed.

What sort of Audience should the event attract?
. AFOLs only
. School Children and Children
. Everyone

See my previous answer.

If the event turned out to be a success, would you attend another?
If yes, when?
. The year after
. Two years time
. Never

Next year.

If you would attend the next one should it be held in the same place • again or
another destination in another state?

You probably need to rotate destinations.

Would you donate any of your 'unwanted' LEGO to the East Timor Children? • (If
there were a deposit box at the event etc).

See above. Charity events can be cool for publicity so combine the two.

Do you think it would be a cool idea if LEGO organised a RLD (Red Letter • Day -
refer to UK posts) type event, for those who were interested?

What? When we all go off to Legoland? Is there some news that I have missed
here?

Do you think it would be cool if LEGO gave us a chance (if ever • possible) to buy
bulk bricks from the event?

Yes, we want a Pick-a-Brick, both for the public, AFOLs and for the charity
buy-build-and-donate event.

Would you like to buy stuff not normally available to us at the event?

Well, apart from Pick-a-Brick, I feel my needs are pretty well met with S@H
and bricklink. But that's probably not true for everyone. Also at Legolands
you can buy a lot of Lego-branded merchandise (T-shirts, mobile phone
holders, etc) that are appealing to the cognoscenti.

Would you like to see a 'World Record' type activity held at the event?

See above.

Would you like to see a Commemorative Brick, especially made for us, at • the
event? (Like the Promotional Duplo bricks).

Commemorative bricks are not a priority in my lifestyle. How about a Lego
kangaroo? That would be useful at least for building. Or a parrot in galah
colours. Or a minifig boomerang accessory.

What  do you think would be the overall ideal event to be held for
Australia's
first large event like this? (besides whatever LEGO already do and the
National
meets).

Big-build charity-donate event (see above).

Kerry