 LEGOLAND / Windsor / 149
148  |  150
Subject:
LegoLand Windsor: first visit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.windsor
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:06:29 GMT

Hi all,

During April 2007 I stayed with my family in Denmark for one week. We visited
the park with our season passes. As you all know it is possible to visit one of
the other parks with this season pass (during the same season).
Now we finally decided to go to the United Kingdom for the very first time: a
really big adventure for us all.
With the car on a train (Euro tunnel), for the first time in my life driving on
the wrong side of the road (!), to pay a first visit to LegoLand Windsor.
According to the route planner it is less than 400km, according to fellow
BeLUG-members less than four hours to get there.

Thursday, August 23: the big day!
5.00CET: Out of bed for the big trip.
6.10CET: Leaving home.
7.40CET: Arrival in Calais. We were half an hour too early for our
train-reservation. We were lucky: we could embark on the previous shuttle,
immediately at our arrival. At this point we gained half an hour…
7.30GT-11.00GT: Trying to survive the traffic-jams south of London. What should
have been less than two hours turned out to become a nightmare: will we ever
reach LegoLand before closing time…
Driving on the wrong side of the road wasn’t so difficult after all. English
roundabouts on the contrary really were a big obstacle: we didn’t know that
English roundabouts had completely different rules than elsewhere in Europe. If
you need the third exit on the roundabout, you should’ve been on the third
stroke before the roundabout (in Belgium you can drive circles on a roundabout
for as long as you like, until you find the right exit). I was on the wrong
stroke of the very first roundabout, and I got pushed off by a large truck. I
was forced to take a different road to Lego Land (at times like this the
GPS-system I don’t have comes in handy!).
11.30GT: Fortunately I have good sense of direction, so we finally made it to
the park (after more than six hours!).

When we were driving on Winkfield Road, my wife was wondering if there’s a theme
park in the middle of a village. But the environment suddenly changed when we
drove uphill towards the parking lot.
At the entrance of the park you don’t see anything at all. But 50 metres further
you get this amazing view over a valley: a huge park stretching over the entire
valley. This park definitely is a lot bigger than the ones in Billund and
Günzburg.
Because we arrived this late, there were already long queues on all the
attractions. We queued more than one hour on the Jungle Coaster and the Vikings’
River Splash! The queue on the River Splash was mainly the staff’s fault: every
boat had nine seats, but the average number of people on each boat was less than
four!! (by the way, it wasn’t as good as the Vikings’ River Splash in Billund).
There are so many attractions we didn’t even get a chance to see them all.
I took lots of pictures in Miniland (of course), even if some of the buildings
were exactly the same as the ones in Billund. Brussels (town hall) and London
(Big Ben and Tower Bridge) were new to me.
What I really liked about the park is their non-smoking policy (well, not
everybody seemed to be aware of this…).
The Pick-a-Brick section is comparable to the one in Billund (£4.50/100gram),
but here they still had lots of 1x1 plates in old-gray from the Mosaic Maker
Set!
The children were very disappointed because they couldn’t find Lego-shaped
French fries, but before we left they settled for a takeaway kids menu ;-).

19.40GT: We really have to get back or we will miss the train…
21.45GT: We arrived one minute too late at Folkestone to catch the shuttle we
made a reservation for. We had to wait one (!) hour for the next train. I was
very tired but I tried not to fall asleep, otherwise we would miss the next
train, too.
2.30CET: Back home! That was a really long day (without rain!!!). I wonder if we
would ever do something like this again. My wife insists of taking an entire
vacation in the UK next year….

Maarten