 LEGOLAND / California / 836
Re: News from California
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:32:50 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.california, Scott Costello wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Ted Michon wrote:

   (Fire got within 3000 feet of our home in Irvine on Monday.)

-Ted
SCLTC

Glad to hear that everything is alright, I knew that section of the fire was terribly close to the Michon compound. I was worried #1 about you guys and your safety, but also #2 about the toxic cloud that would have covered all of Irvine if all your LEGO pieces melted.

We had a little flare up about 6 miles from our house, but we have enough houses around us to buffer us. I have a few family members who have been evacuated, and we are hoping for the best. This is by far the worst I can ever remember, and those crazy winds weren’t helping.

Scott

Scott-

I always though when I moved to CA from CT once-upon-a-time that I was moving to the land of earthquakes, not fires, but over the years the fires have really dominated (of course, that will probably change when the long overdue BIG ONE finally hits). I remember going on the roof top in Pasadena one fire set in the 1970s and seeing fires in every direction. Twenty years later I was in CT with David seeing my mom after she had had a stroke. As I walked into her room, the TV was showing fires in Irvine in the hills near our house. Back home, Susan and Thomas were told to get ready to evacuate. The dry wind and high temperatures and the arsonists are a constant threat each year in southern CA. The worst thing to happy to us was the night we came home following a fire truck for two miles (!) that headed to Northwood, through our neighborhood gate, and down our street. A neighbor’s house 3 houses down had caught one of its own fireplace embers on its roof and burned. (We were very happy when we replaced our shake roof with the concrete-like ones.)

-Ted