 LEGOLAND / 388
Re: Current and Ex-Model Builders speak out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 03:38:49 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
   San Diego City Beat newspaper has published an article shedding some interesting light on the behind-the-scenes activities of the LEGOLAND California Model Shop.

Having worked for LEGOLAND CA model shop myself, this article rings true. Sadly, that means that if you have an idealistic view of LEGO and the LEGOLAND parks, this article will crush your false assumptions. You’ve been warned.

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.php?id=5511&atype=

The article interviews Jonathan Eric Hunter, a Model Builder that was hired after I left, and another MB I have not met. The turn-over rate in the model shop has sky-rocketed in the past several years. During my tenure I saw 5 Model Builders leave before me, and since my exit 3 more have left.

The turn-over stems from a combination of a hostile work environment (that the company seems to be overlooking) and an abundance of potential candidates (thanks to the Model Builder Search). If you participated in one of those, don’t be surprised if you get a call one day...

Your milage may vary, but only slightly.

Aaron

When I received the email with the link to the article I was surprised to read, the facts are now out in the public, while for a long time this was either dismissed or always “never heard off before’

A snippet from the article “They make it sound like you’ve landed a dream job,” Poland told CityBeat. “But it’s not.” It is actually not at all it is polished to be. For almost a year before accepting a position I was constantly warned many times before accepting the job, that it was not the designer’s dream job, this coming from a true pioneer designer. If you are actually looking for design work, look to Denmark’s elite Lego Futura and Product development areas. If they are accepting? Dont really know where the product is being developed anymore. May very well be Asia.

The MBS is a fantastic marketing tool that spans across the entire US territory that only costs the same amount of one or two 30 second tv spots, a very cost effective tool to getting the message out, the name of the park, and the brand. Its not about the model builders at all, has never been, will never be. Getting a loooong list of canditates is a mere happy byproduct. The article is very accurate, as so are Aaron’s comments. Its interesting to see that 8 individuals have left their ‘dream job’ in a short span of time. ‘There is a very long list of people that want the job’, as we were constantly reminded, using the “I can pick up the phone and call the people on the list, and have you replaced by tomorrow”, as a constant remainder that no one there is ‘special’ except those special ‘people who are handpicked to have a career’, as very well stated by senior management during a media training session. For the outside lookers, ‘superheros’ model citizens, stars, on the inside, the lowest degree of employee, “LINE LEVEL”, replaceable and seen as some kind of freaks ( adults playing with lego bricks: AKA nerds, misfits, and other names I can recall hearing), to the extent that relationships are not recommended with MS personnel, because they can be’dangerous to my professional ambitions’ by other ‘professional’ status employees. Contrary to what the article states as common practice: Shortcuts are commonplace among the model builders. A model doesn’t fit on the cement pad? Take out your hacksaw and make it fit. Taking too long to get that corner with perfectly interlocking parts? Just glue the butts of one wall to the butts of the others. This was not true while I worked with very talented individuals, such as the first ever american model designer, and a group of british designers who were top of the creme in model design. But those days are long gone. “Finally no more damn foreigners” as stated on several occasions. It is sad to see that same old problems are just perennial, or is it just keeping the status quo? Just as Aaron said, the milage will vary, only slightly, and in this race, I recommend talking to who has already gone that road, and avoid some not so pleasant surprises.