 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4407
Re: Legends in stores?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.us.az
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 00:51:17 GMT

Arrgh! Why doesn't Lego set up a direct shop in Arizona? I know they
probably have them in California, NY, and near their corporate HQ, but It
seems where I live, is the last place to get Lego at a decent price. :(

Matt, I'm with you on this.  I too live in AZ, the land where the bricks
melt when left outside or in your car, and I'd petition for this.  We have 6
mil + in the city of Pheonix alone.  If placed in the right place, it would
attract peeps from Tuscon, Globe and Flagstaff.  How about Scottsdale
Fashion Square or Chandler Fashion Center? They are upscale enough malls.
Maybe the outlets centers in the New River or Casa Grande?

Lego is hard to get cheap here, but there are places, just look.  :^)

If only Lego released Legend sets in toy shops, or even better, hobby shops.

Y'know, LD is a arm of the company that deals directly with the consumer.
Without LD, there would be no legends so therefore we must accept that LD
can only deal through the catalog, web or TLC Stores.

It seems to me, that Lego co. doesn't take to full, their marketing potential.
I mean, there are a lot of opportunities out there for marketing, such as
placing actually decent products on store shelves, placing bulk quaitity
sets and accessory packs next the lego aisle, and possibly minifigure,
architectural, brick quantity, foliage, landscaping and technic accessory
packs on store shelves.

If a store like this were to be like every toy shop (not Lego direct stores),
with reasonable prices, and a diverse selection, then I might actually go
back to the store and *buy* lego again. Now, they're missing potential
profits on my part, and most of them probably go to some old senile toy
collectors on ebay. A shame? Definitely!

Can Lego fix this?
They should!

Lego in Hobby Shops???  Hmmm.  We do all consider this a hobby and most are
willing to pay (assuming there are decent prices) to get these demanded
items withoutgoing through LD or eBay/Bricklink.  Good idea.

An example of this I've seen:

A starter kit for HO scale trains can be bought at discount warehouses,
catalogs or toy shops.  To supplement this kit, you must go to the hobby
shop.  Does it work? Yes.

The lego scenerio:

A kid or adult buys lego.  They want to build a town but can only get the
police and fire.  In order to get thier town built they need more brick.
They see the insert in the boxes: Lego supplement packs and ultimate
collector/builder sets available through shop at home and your local hobby
shops.  The person prefers going to the store and then buys $200 dollars of
lego. Can it happen? Yes.

Perhaps this lack of convenience is due to the fact that Lego corporation's
inner echeleon seriously comtempletes that they may be facing competition,
not from only clone bricks, but from the action figure line (e.g jack stone?
bionicle sets?) If this is true, perhaps they think on the borderline that
they need to introduce kits with a low complexity level so that when they're
(consumers) finished building, they grow slowly bored, and go to the toy
store for more, hoping to find something more complex, more on a futile
basis.

Bad business practice to change your product to keep up with other generas.

Perhaps it's time for a change to look back to the basic bricks,
technic parts, and architecture to add integrity to the model, not just sell
it from behind a brand name label, or take the bandwagon approach. IMO

Ditto

Just my two brickz...

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Lugnet No. 1112

Jeremy Scott

xpost to loc.us.az so we Arizonians can get schyed up to petition a lego
store here. C'mon LD!