 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 302
Re: bulk ordering is here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:52:13 GMT

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
news:394A4976.3CA90AC5@umich.edu...
[snip]
Also, that 1x2 tile with central stud was a useless piece to me as well • for many
years.  Then when I studied some of the LEGO model shop models, I • discovered
that these pieces were very usefull indeed.  You can use them to "indent" • a row
of bricks.  For example, if you built a house 20 studs wide, you could add • a
ridge or cornice to the roofline 21 studs wide by putting these underneath • the
row of bricks that you want to protrude slightly.  Another example of this • is
the Thatcher Perkins Locomotive (#396), whose smokestack funnel goes up • from 3
bricks wide to 4 bricks wide to 5 bricks wide, each row exactly centrally
located above the row below it thanks to the use of these 1x2 tiles with • central
studs.  There are many other uses, but one needs to see a diagram (a • picture
says a thousand words), in order to best describe them.  These 1x2 tiles • with
central studs are a very important part of the LEGOLAND buildings.

Gary Istok

I was at the Lego Outlet Store at Potomac Mills in Dale City, Virginia this
weekend and the models of the Lincoln Memorial and Congress used this exact
technique.  I thought it was a great building technique (although you would
need several hundred just for a modest sized building).

BTW, the model of Congress was incredible!!!!  It must be 25 feet wide, 10
deep and probably 10 feet high.  It takes up the entire center section of
the store.  Don't miss it if you are in the area.

Tim