 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 244
Re: bulk ordering is here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:58:41 GMT

Gary Istok wrote:

True enough, but my take on this is that more than likely LEGO is not • going to
make each of the pieces that I described in this thread as an individual • parts
pack (at least I would be surprised if they did).  Some of these you would • have
to admit make a lot of sense though - the sloped brick sets for example. • If
LEGO made each and ever one of these pieces as individual packs, I would • be very
happy.  But I don't think that's going to happen, and that's why I listed • these
related parts packs.

Why not? Remember this is a totally new service. As you can see, there are
two different slope bricks available right now. 2x2 and 2x4 ones and these
do not come in a combined bag either although they are very similar. I doubt
that there will be lots of bags with different elements in there. Of course
it's a different thing for doors and windows which may consist of two pieces
and it makes no sence to sell them seperately.

Back in the late 1960's LEGO made a few "related items" parts pack.  One • was a
tiles parts pack with 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 tiles (in red/white, blue/yellow,
black/gray), two colors to a pack.  Another one of these parts packs had • rounded
bricks - 1x1 cylinder bricks and 2x2 quarter circle (macaroni) bricks, • also two
colors to a pack.

Well, most of us remember these part packs (or similar ones released over
the years), but this time, the whole thing is called BULK ordering, which
means IMO, that I can buy any piece I need any piece I want without having
to take other elements as well.

Also, that 1x2 tile with central stud was a useless piece to me as well • for many
years.  Then when I studied some of the LEGO model shop models, I • discovered
that these pieces were very usefull indeed.  You can use them to "indent" • a row
of bricks.  For example, if you built a house 20 studs wide, you could add • a
ridge or cornice to the roofline 21 studs wide by putting these underneath • the
row of bricks that you want to protrude slightly.  Another example of this • is
the Thatcher Perkins Locomotive (#396), whose smokestack funnel goes up • from 3
bricks wide to 4 bricks wide to 5 bricks wide, each row exactly centrally
located above the row below it thanks to the use of these 1x2 tiles with • central
studs.  There are many other uses, but one needs to see a diagram (a • picture
says a thousand words), in order to best describe them.  These 1x2 tiles • with
central studs are a very important part of the LEGOLAND buildings.

They may be important, but why should you have to pick them up if you do not
want to? Releasing them in a seperate pack means that everyone can chose for
himself how many of these he wants.
I hope LD keeps it going the way they introduced it. Brad, THANKs a lot (I
am looking forward to the bulk release in Germany though...)

Bye, Christian --- xTI@N.
P.S.: Note that I usually reply slow...
The World is full of AFOLs - gech1@t-online.de