 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1490
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:23:23 GMT

Doesn't Lego already have their own LegoCAD software?  I'm not sure what
exactly it comprises or allows you to do, but it is a deritive of AutoCAD
developed by Autodesk.  It is available through DACTA and I'm sure is too
expensive for an average user, but since they already have some type of
software developed, it wouldn't be too hard for them to make a smaller
version suitable for constructing models for the Lego Direct use.  And if
not another version of the LegoCAD software, they always have Lego Creator,
which if it contained all the necessary pieces would be a great replacement
for LDraw.  It can produce step by step instructions although I haven't been
able to take the time to do this in either Lego Creator or LDraw (with
MLCad).  I'm sure some of you are a lot more knowledgeable about this than
me, but I would love to see an official product, containing all the pieces
made, available to construct models with.  It would be great if it would
allow you to make a completely rendered model at the end of the process. And
of course being able to order your own instructions and completed model from
Lego..  can't wait for that..

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:
"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:

Hmm.  As I just finished posting, before readin this, :-) ...it
would be great if this software could import DAT files and convert
them itself to the new format.  This would save a LOT of hassle
changing over the community's standard format if this software is
to replace LCAD.

I wonder if I have missed something important.  When I read the
information in the press release that people can use a free modeling
program to represent their model and then submit it to buy the parts
needed, I thought this program would be useable only as a tool to
indicate what parts would be needed.  Your post appears to indicate
that you think that this software may/will replace LDraw in all kinds
of aspects.  Is there any information present in the press release
that indicates that TLC are providing the community with a new, free
LEGO CAD system?

I don't believe you missed anything.  That was an assumption on my part of how
much potential I believe this system to have.  If indeed TLC comes out with a
better, more useful system than LCAD, people will switch to it, and gradually
LDraw, etc. will die out.

I don't know anything about their intentions with this software.

Perhaps you are right...this tool may be only useful for the feature of ordering
bricks and producing your 'set.'

It would be great if TLC, with their budget, were able to develop a full
replacement to the LCAD system - BECAUSE they have the potential to do it much
better than we do in our spare time, and have such allies as Autodesk, etc.  I
hope that they don't design just a kiddie version, but one that's in-depth
enough for the most advanced LCAD user out here.  Will it be worth it to them?
That's up to us to convince them of and for them to decide.

Perhaps I'm pessimistic, but I would be surprised if the provided
software would be useful for much more than composing a model from a
selected subset of LEGO parts and the submitting this to buy the parts
needed.  With some luck there will be a file format visible to the end
user which can be reverse engineered.

We all have reason to be pessimistic, but recently I think we have more reason
to be optimistic :-)  I want to see a top-notch CAD system for the AFOLs no
matter who makes it (well not Megabloks) - TLC or us.

BTW, you consistently post articles with lines wrapped, especially
quoted lines.  Do you think you can increase the line length in your
client to avoid this?  Or perhaps you can refill the paragraphs before
quoting them to avoid line wrapping?  Just a thought.

I hope this fixed it.  I don't know why I didn't take care of that sooner.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne