 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1342
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:52:14 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message

There's a strong chance that a mutually beneficial relationship between L-CAD
developers and TLC may emerge.  LEGO is keeping a very open mind about new
data formats.

There is an incredible opportunity there, I've had many conversations with
people in the commuinty about what is there.  I haven't heard from them about
anything of the sort, but I would love to.

My sense is that they not only want to be able to import
LDraw .DAT files someday (either natively or via an external conversion
process) but that they also understand the benefits of open-architecture
file formats.  I suspect what they are likely to do with their proprietary
modeling language is similar to what Adobe did with PostScript:  publish
detailed syntactical and semantical specifications of the language while
retaining ownership of the language itself.  Even though the format is still
proprietary, third-party tools thrive.

Would this mean they keep control of the parts distribution?  I think that this
would be an important factor to them on quality control.

Open-architecture text-based file
formats are beautiful flowers.  Closed-architecture binary file formats are
poisonous weeds.  I'm pretty sure LEGO understands this and won't risk a
mis-step.

I hope they won't.

I sent an email to Brad today asking about the CAD development and the LDraw DAT
format.  I'm awaiting a reply and more news from him and possible connections to
the developers.  I would like to get a CAD group together to discuss this with
them and maybe guide/aid in development from a community perspective.

This is all wonderful news!  LEGO is going to be a totally different toy come a
few years, when the potential for people to make the creations of their dreams
is within reach.  I'm one big :-) on the inside right now. :-)
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne