 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1314
Re: CAD formats (was Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:40:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:

We have a licensing
problem with the parts library, which we need to address, quickly, IMHO, or
stumbling blocks of our own making could prevent TLC legal from approving
use of the LDraw format.

The licensing issue doesn't matter, except for appearances/impressions
(having a 'licensing issue' gives the impression that we might not play well
with LEGO).

LEGO doesn't need the LDraw parts library, they've got their own parts
database.  What we want from LEGO is compatibility with the LDraw file
format, so LEGO's software can read our model files.  LEGO doesn't need any
special permission to write software that reads LDraw DAT files.

If LEGO were to use an extension of the LDraw format in their software,
that'd be awesome.  But they need so much more from their modeling system,
LDraw only scratches the surface.

Steve