 LEGO Company / 3752
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:46:04 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Daniel Aubin wrote:
   Funny how we as AFOLs have a hard time thinking “outside the box”. We automatically assume that new track geometry necessarily requires large sectional track pieces.

Well, simple straights and curves could easily be made with flexible rails and individual ties, but many of the specialized track pieces that seem to be of real interest to the hobby are complex crossovers and points. Those would require complex molded bases. Also, the loose rail format would likely be much more suitable for long-term setup, where prefab track sections make setup a breeze for a quick show. Note that traditional model railroaders don’t ever actually have to set up loose track at a show, as the track will be preattached to large landscape sections, and the only thing they ever need to do to get the track working right is to clip the gaps between each section of landscape. Loose rail track also won’t visually match the 9v stuff, and will actually look more mismatched than using grey and bley track together.

It is certainly an option that would help keep costs down, though. You will likely find that there are people who would rather have one format over the other, and I suspect it won’t be anywhere close to unanimous.