 LEGO Company / 3741
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 02:27:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I have to throw something in here...

Tommy probably doesn't realize this (and I'm probably breaking some rule by
telling him), but those of us up heah yonder Nawth sometimes use words like
"y'all" in a condescending, rednecky way. But for those of you reading this, I
want you to know that Tommy really does sound like he types. He actually talks
like that. It's not a redneck kinda sound, though, it's the Southern Gentleman
sound. More Andy Griffith or Jed Clampett, not so much Jeff Foxworthy or Boss
Hog.

He ain't all that bad.... for a Rebel.

Yes, I am aware that "y'all" does have some connotations--but have decided that
it is really the only politically correct, all encompassing, non-gender,
non-racial, non-religious specfic pronoun that is available in the English
language-at least American English. "You guys" is unacceptable as gender
specific, simply using "you" does not work because it takes context to determine
whether singlular or plural, "you people" sounds like preaching and I really do
not like to be preached to unless I request a sermon. "Y'all" works for
everything--but you do have to be careful how you use it since it is a "global
variable" and refers to anyone (or thing-it can include animals also--at least
dogs--not sure about cats). It is all inclusive and therefore is a "communal"
pro-noun in the the best sense of the word. So be careful how you use it as it
excludes no one--and sometimes that might not be your intention.

The abandonment of the the word "thou" as a second person singular pronoun
necessitated the use of y'all to a certain extent to make certain you were
referring to second person plural and not singular. Many languages do not have
that problem as they have separate words for second person singular and second
person plural. We actually have one "ye" but that has gone the way of thee and
thou also. "Ye of little faith--there is always a technological solution for a
technological problem." And "ye" has a preachy connotation which is to be
avoided at all costs.

So y'all get on the bandwagon and start using more politcally correct language.
This is the era of diversity, afterall.

Tommy Armstrong