 LEGO Company / 3719

Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:00:50 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Steve Witt wrote:
I'm posting this on behalf of Richard Stollery, head of LEGO Community
Development:

LEGO 9V Train Communication

<snip>
Richard Stollery, Head of LEGO Community Development

Thank you for making a decision on this.  Those 'in the know' have known this
was a decision that needed to be made for a while now and I'm pleased that a
decision and a course of direction are now set.

Over the years I've done a lot with the 9v metal rails.  I know it's advantages
and disadvantages.  Personally, I'm excited to see LEGO go in a new direction
and  in a way that will hopefully be more profitable for them.  I see it this
way, if LEGO were to continue the old system of metal rails there would never be
any reinvestment in it since it doesn't make any money.  Now you could argue
that it doesn't make a profit because they don't invest in it.  Perhaps so.  But
the way I see it, LEGO is a plastic company - they are very good at making
things in plastic and outsource all electro-mechanical and metal components.
Thus it makes sense to me that they should keep as much as they can in house -
hence all plastic track.  And the more profitable any line is the more support
there will be into the product line (example: Bionicle gets lots of new pieces
because it is a profitable product line)

The current 9v metal rails have many advantages and disadvantages.  I feel that
the advantages of pursuing a new train system offers opportunities far beyond
sticking with the old.

A good many of us will be left speculating on what it will be while a select
number of AFOL train heads will contribute to LEGO on what the new system will
be.  I don't know who they are, but I do expect they will be under a non
disclosure agreement and won't even be able to contribute to this dialog.
However, I do know the depth of talent and passion that exist with AFOL train
heads and whomever contributes will do their best to make the new system the
best that it can be.

I'm looking forward to the opportunities ahead.

Kind regards,

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC

Re: The Future of Trains
A good many of us will be left speculating on what it will be while a select
number of AFOL train heads will contribute to LEGO on what the new system will
be.  I don't know who they are, but I do expect they will be under a non
disclosure agreement and won't even be able to contribute to this dialog.
However, I do know the depth of talent and passion that exist with AFOL train
heads and whomever contributes will do their best to make the new system the
best that it can be.

I'm looking forward to the opportunities ahead.

Kind regards,

Ben Fleskes
Big Ben Bricks LLC

Ben,

I couldn't agree more.  We have to look at this not as the end of an era, but as
a new beginning and a chance to embrace new technology.  I am thoroughly excited
about the possibilities that lie ahead for LEGO Trains.  As you stated, this is
a decision that needed to be made and I'm glad we finally have an answer.  Now
we can all move forward and help to make the new platform the best it can
possibly be.  It's a brave new world...

-Dave

Re: The Future of Trains