 LEGO Company / 3716
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:17:12 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Scott Lyttle wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Steve Witt wrote:
Steve Barile, USA – President of ILTCO (International LEGO Train Club
Organization) and one of the involved AFOLs says about the new train system:
“I am excited that the new universal Power Functions system can make track side
accessories viable and potentially automated and interactive.”

He continues:

“With the track being exclusively plastic the LEGO Power Functions Train system
has the potential for new and innovative track geometries and continued
innovation by both The LEGO Group and the AFOLs.”

Well, automated/interactive track-side accessories and innovative track
geometries are kind of pointless if I can't pull an actual train.

Well, this is something of a blow to the LTC's doing shows.  If the decision has
been made to discontinue the line and work on a replacment, let us be proactive,
and indicate the positives of the 9V system that should be worked into a new
product.  I'll start:

Key needs for a new LEGO Train system:

For me, the ability to pull long (10+ cars) heavy trains for at least 6 hours at
a time with little to no attention to keeping them running is necessary.  I can
do it now, I'd like to be able to continue to do so.

If new motors are going to be of the Power Functions variety, they need to be
small enough to fit inside a locomotive, and have connection points that don't
require Technic pins.  I don't have any of the Power Functions bits, but a quick
browse this morning seems to indicate that everything has studless connections.

Keeping the number of batteries to a minimum would be nice as well.  Batteries
are heavy, and need to be replaced, which is 90% of the reason that I don't use
my RCX, NXT, and R/C parts more often, and the #1 reason why I didn't purchase
an RC Cargo Train.

-Elroy

Re: The Future of Trains