 LEGO Company / 3574
3573  |  3575
Subject:
Dear LEGO Company,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:24:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dear LEGO Company,

I am very sad to hear of your latest news closing the packaging and distribution
in Enfield, Connecticut and scaling back nearly 75% of the work force in
Billund, Denmark. I appreciate the tough times that the toy industry as a whole
is in, and I understand the difficulty your economic situation has placed you
in.

I recently turned 40 years old, and I can still remember the first LEGO product
that was ever purchased for me by my parents. It was the 653 Set, Ambulance and
Helicopter, that I believe came through a promotion with Velveeta Cheese. At
that age, I remember eating a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches and owning more
than one copy of set 653. Since that time there have been only a few years were
a LEGO set was not under the tree for me Christmas morning. As I became older
with my own money to spend, I have frequently bought sets for myself. Oh, there
were those dark ages when I thought I was too cool for LEGO bricks, but I am
glad I overcame that period of my life.

Since 1996 when I became active in the World Wide Web, I have enjoyed sharing my
enthusiasm for the LEGO Product with newly found friends and acquaintances from
all over the World. I began humbly with REC.TOYS.LEGO and grew into LUGNET and
Legofan.org among other sites. This has led me to travel at considerable expense
to conventions of Adult Fans of LEGO to share in their enjoyment of our common
hobby.

I just want you to know that I will always be a fan of the LEGO Product. I trust
you to maintain the high standards upon which the company was founded and its
reputation was built. The LEGO Logo and brand is a world renowned identity
equating to “fair play” everywhere. Your product is a symbol of innocence and
playability that I hope I can bring to raising my own family one day.

There will be those among the AFOL’s that overreact and try to second guess the
steps you are taking to keep LEGO Company a business in the 21st Century. Some
will say that they intend never to purchase your products again. Some will
misdirect their sorrow into losing interest in the products you produce. All I
can say is that a majority of us are willing to stick by you during these times
of transition.

I have never had the responsibility of employing even one worker let alone
thousands. It cannot be easy to terminate people that have worked for and been
loyal to such a well respected company. Closing facilities and factories that
have shaped and affected communities for several decades must be a profound and
solemn decision taken with the deepest regret. I hope I am not alone in
appreciating the gravity of the company circumstance to take such serious steps
to remain a viable business for today and into the foreseeable future.

As a shareholder in bricks and elements, allow me one request. Keep doing what
made the company great. Manufacture bricks and sets that provide children with a
toy they take into adulthood with them. Give them a platform for their
creativity. Keep the quality above your competitors. And along with all else, do
what must be done to keep the LEGO Company a business in the 21st Century.

Humbly and Respectfully,

Todd

Todd S. Thuma
AFOL