 LEGO Company / 1282
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 14:18:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
* A certain few parts that are crucial to keep in the old colors will likely be
created as service pack type items. An example of this would be the 9v train
track. I am interested in getting feedback from you (via this thread) on which
elements MUST be produced in the old colors for the long term. (And no, you
can’t say "the whole range of parts!" :) )

Thanks for the update Jake.

I think that the train track is a key item. Public displays of mottled layouts
would not look good. Buildings in new shades of gray sharing layouts with
buildings in old shades of gray would look a lot better side ny side than
layouts made of mismatched pieces of track.

I have no problem with the new grays in the sense that they are just another
color to use. Offering temporary packs of old grays is handy and I have taken
advantage of that to finish some items started in the older colors. Any chance
the lifetime of those packs could be extended? How is the 10,000 bag stock level
doing?

I had a brief chat with one of the park's model shop staff about the new colors
and was told that lack of supplies of old grays would cause problems for
mini-land maintenance. Any chance that runs of the older colors might be done
for the parks which might be used to replenish the S@H stock levels? I noted
that there were in fact nine or so colors which had been withdrawn from the
park's color chart, but that the other six were colors we don't see much of
anyhow.

In terms of the internal planning which goes on to schedule parts being produced
in specific colors, how long before we see a comprehensive range of all the
different parts available in the new grays? I noted that some parts weren't
scheduled for production for a couple of years yet. That means it may take us a
while to build up our stocks of different types to be able to finish creations
made of the new colors. Do the set designers try to use a broad selection of
parts to ensure they become available in different colors?

Again, thanks for keeping us in the loop,

JB