 General / 6417
Re: Lugnet Newsgroups Anniversary!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:28:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, "Adam Howard" <abhoward10@hotmail.com> writes:

When will Lugnet be having it's 1 year newsgroups anniversary?  I figure it
should be around Sept or Oct.

Hmm, the actual anniversary is kind of fuzzy, since there were several
"beginnings"...here's a bit of history:

1.  There was some preliminary research and testing on August 9 with a
    mock-up newsserver.  That was just testing, and it was wiped away later.

2.  Then there was a second phase of preliminary research -- alpha testing
    an initial hierarchy with about 6 volunteers.  That started around
    August 27 (I think) and was also wiped away later, as it was just
    testing.  (BTW, a couple of the messages pseudo-survived the reset by
    way of being follow-ups to messages posted before the reset.  :-)

3.  The very first message posted to the *current* newsgroup system was:

       http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1

    and it has the datestamp of:

       Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:50:54 GMT

    so you might consider that the official "birth" of the current set of
    messages.  It was officially a beta test, but everything survived.

4.  Well, almost everything survived.  There was a major problem with the
    newsgroup names,

       http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=23

    which required deleting *all* of the messages in the system, wiping out
    all the groups, and rebuilding everything by reinjecting all of the
    existing messages back into the new naming system.  (Basically, 99%
    of all the newsgroups were renamed.)  This first message posted into
    the current newsgroup hierarchy was:

       http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=24

    and it has the datestamp of:

       Fri, 2 Oct 1998 14:40:34 GMT

    so you might consider that the official "birth" of the current newsgroup
    hierarchy (different from the birth of the current set of messages).

5.  When the beta test went live in late September, there were still only
    about a couple dozen or so volunteers.  So even though it was "live and
    running," it wasn't "open arms to all" yet.  You can see some of the
    initial excitement here:

       http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=1,20

    (Obviously, this was before .announce required followups to other
    groups.  It wasn't meant as a discussion group.)

    The groups became "open arms to all" in a message posted to
    rec.toys.lego on October 4 (which I don't have a handy way to link to)
    but here is something posted very shortly after:

       http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=29

    and it has the datestamp of:

       Sun, 4 Oct 1998 23:58:47 GMT

    so you might consider that the official "birth" of the newsserver,
    because up until then, it was still officially in beta testing until
    the kinks could be ironed out.

Are you going to do anything special?

I plan to drink myself silly from September 28 to October 4.  ;-)

--Todd