 General / 56073
Re: The mysterious "WDR" version 6661 Mobile TV Set...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:29:56 GMT

In writing up the story (or lack thereof) of the mysterious WDR version of the
6661 Mobile TV Station Set... I've been thinking about my upgrades to my LEGO
DVD/download (all upgrades are free to current/future owners)... and decided to
start adding some anecdotal information to some of the more newsworthy LEGO
sets/parts, such as this 6661 set.  Just having a statistic in Peeron or
Bricklink or Brickset... doesn't always do the more quirky sets justice.

So by documenting some of the more bizarre set stories, it's nice to give a
little more knowledge to the owners of these wonderful sets.  For example... the
1592 Town Square Set... This set comes in a UK and a Dutch version.  But there's
way more to it than that.  The UK set was a Weetabix promotion in 1980.  After
the promotion TLG had a bunch leftover... so in 1981-82 Germany's SpielzeugRing
(trade organization) sold these UK versions in Germany to their sellers.  And
then in 1983 in the Netherlands... the Dutch version was sold as a promo for
UNOX Soup... a Unilever product.  Well TLG had some UK 1592's still leftover
from Germany... so they sold the remainder of these to the Dutch... as well as
the Dutch version in 1983.

I've also added 4 new chapters (available as free downloads to current
owners)... as well as about 400 additional LEGO images.  There is always
something unknown coming out of the mysterious world of LEGO... and I am always
snooping around looking for it.

After having a horrible 2 years (health, family, and financial issues)... I'm
starting to get things back together, and planning additional LEGO projects
involving the history of new as well as old sets.  Also, my latest project about
a new LEGO DVD/download for the years 1990s-Present... will be FREE to any
current (1949-1990s DVD/download) owner... who asks! ;-)

I've been researching some LEGO things that the folks at TLG don't even have
records of!  :-O  There are a lot of things about some companies such as
Samsonite (the one everyone knows)... and other companies... such as Courtauld's
(Britain/Australia)... Svein Strømberg (Norway)... Geas Konstharts (Sweden)...
and a fellow by the name of Axel Thomsen... the Dane who lived in Sweden and
later moved to Germany to start LEGO sales there in 1956... this obscure man was
greatly responsible for why LEGO bricks have tubes underneath.  So many untold
stories that really should be told.  It's not just all about OKC, GKC and KKK...
there's so many people out there that have affected our LEGO System of Play...
that we don't know about, that I want to share with the world... and intend to
do so...

Anyway... I've talked enough... back to research...

Cheers,
Gary Istok