 General / 55986
55985  |  55987
Subject:
The Termination of LEGO production in the USA in 1973...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 15:56:21 GMT

1973 - the year LEGO Terminated the Samsonite USA LEGO License...

For those folks who like looking at old LEGO catalogs... there's a big gap in the  the American LEGO catalog lists... more like a 2 year gap.  In 1970 TLG started legal action to revoke the Samsonite USA LEGO license... reason?   Underperformance of LEGO sales there.  So from the early 1970 and late 1973 USA LEGO catalogs... there was a big gap... with a very tiny catalog with only 5 sets and 3 parts packs.

Here's the story behind the reason why TLG uses 1973 as the USA LEGO anniversary
date... and NOT 1961... when LEGO sales (via Samsonite) first started in the
USA....
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77951

Even though Canada also had Samsonite LEGO... they toe-ed the TLG line much
better than did the USA... and so 1962 is the start date for LEGO sales in
Canada... even though the first USA sales started the year before... with the
bricks originating from the same Canadian Samsonite plant (for a few years) in
Stratford Ontario... and shipped across the border....

Enjoy the story!
Gary Istok