 General / 55891
55890  |  55892
Subject:
Rarest LEGO flag.... Faroe Islands!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:17:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

If you were taking a ferry boat from Denmark to Iceland thru the North Sea, you
would pass by an archipelago of very rugged islands called the Faroe Islands.
These are semi-independent from Denmark, although currency and defense are still
supplied by Denmark.  The group of Faroe Islands (north of all the rugged
Shetlands and Orkney Islands of Scotland) have a population of 50,000.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Faroe_Islands

I just recently learned about these islands for a LEGO related reason... the
rarest of all LEGO flags is a 1966-68 wavy flag of the Faroe Islands.  I only
learned of this fact because a German LEGO collector who specializes in
Scandinavian LEGO came across not just 1, but 2 Faroe Island wavy flags of the
1960s.  Here's one shown... (Note the flags are (first column going down....
Faroe Islands, Denmark, Iceland, (2nd column) Norway, Finland, Sweden.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/8111131086/sizes/m/in/photostream/

These Faroe Island flags were likely sold in either the 1966-68 492 or 493
continental European LEGO country flags parts pack (each had 8 wavy flags).
However due to the extreme rarity of these until now unknown flags, it is likely
that only 492 or 493 flag packs sold in the Faroe Islands had these flags in
them.  And with a total population of 50,000 in the entire island chain... it is
likely that the number of flags produced was very small indeed.

In mint... I would value one of these flags at several hundred Dollars or Euros.
Making them one of the rarest and most highly priced LEGO parts of all....
as found in my LEGO DVD download... Chapter 47 - Old LEGO Town Accessories -
subchapter 47.1.1 - LEGO Wavy Flags 1957-73, still available on Ebay or on my
website listed Lugnet Marketplace.

Cheers,
Gary Istok