 General / 55890
55889  |  55891
Subject:
Did TLG ever make a flag of Luxembourg?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 20:58:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

TLG made wavy LEGO country flags from November 1957 until circa 1973 (when they
were replaced by the stickered straight country flags).

And there was one flag that was produced in error (I always called it the old
Yugoslavian flag in jest)... with 3 horizontal stripes... light blue at the top,
white in the middle and red at the bottom.

For a long time many old time collectors always thought it was an early
(1957-58?) Dutch flag that was produced in error (the blue and red stripes were
reversed).

But recently I've seen a copy of the Luxembourg flag... which is identical to
the Dutch flag, except the blue is a light blue on the Luxembourg flag and dark
blue on the Dutch flag.  That light blue very much matches the blue on the error
wavy flag.  And another coincidence is that late 1957 was when Belgium and
likely Luxembourg started LEGO sales. Luxembourg sales were handled thru
Belgium.  (Note: early 1957 was when the Netherlands started LEGO sales, so that
the coincidence just mentioned may be meaningless.)

Here's my FLICKR page that shows and discusses this strange flag, which although
quite rare, is not that rare, since several LEGO Collector friends have a copy
of this one...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/istokg/8116825891/

In my LEGO DVD download, I mention this as an error Dutch flag, but pending
comments from the folks at the TLG Archives and Collections... I may have to
revise that in my next (free to current owners) updated version of the download
of my collectors guide in 6 months...

Cheers,
Gary Istok