 General / 54241
Re: Do you care about the perception of AFOLs/ALEs in the wider community?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:27:33 GMT

Hmmm, very good question, Tim!

I'd have to say that I don't really give much thought to what the average person
thinks about my hobby.  For me, the wider community translates to the average
person.  I LOVE my hobby!  That passion is immediately recognizable by most
people.  Thankfully, most of them think it's awesome, cool and neato that I
enjoy it as much as I do.

Every now and then at meetings I'll notice people who clearly don't get that we
are adults having fun with what they see as strictly a child's toy.  I truly
feel sorry for them.  Their lives must be sad if they can't recognize joy.
However, I don't let that bum me out!  I just turn to the next family, give them
a big smile and show them my stuff.  The kids are always into it, and you can
tell the cool parents because they appreciate our adult enthusiasm as well.

Lego is accepted as a valid hobby by me and always will be.  All that matters is
that it matters to me.

Dave S.