 General / 54238
Re: Do you care about the perception of AFOLs/ALEs in the wider community?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:22:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Gould wrote:
Hi all,

One issue which I see brought up on LUGNET quite frequently (mostly but not
exclusively in relation to trains) is the perception of AFOLs/ALEs by the
'wider' community (where wider has various meanings). So since I'm a curious
fellow I'd like to ask:

Do you care about the opinion of the 'wider' community? (and who do you mean by
'wider')?

Would you like to see LEGO 'accepted' as a 'valid' hobby?

Why does it matter (or not matter)?

Tim

I think the way people react to it is a function of how you present it.  I have
a license plate that says "I (heart) LEGO" and the business card I hand out for
personal contacts has my LEGO blog address (brickpile.com) on it.  I treat it
matter-of-factly and people accept it.

But a few years ago, before I decided to be "out" about my hobby, whenever I'd
mention it to someone it was in kind of a shy, ashamed tone of voice, and
reactions were not nearly as positive.

So I think it's all in how you go about it.  Be "loud & proud" and people don't
seem to have an issue about it.  Be furtive and embarrassed about it, and people
will tease or laugh.

At least that's been my experience.