 General / 54111
Re: Brickshelf Status-- any update???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:11:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.announce.brickshelf, Kevin Loch wrote:
I have not posted until now because there was too much uncertainty about
how (or if) this was going to work out.
snippp

i'm just wondering if there is any update on this. i'm curious to see the
features of this paid program and get to using it.

ondrew

6 days and no reply......... hummmmmm
ondrew

Maybe you could ask the Ambassadors to help.

In lugnet.general, Allister McLaren wrote:
In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
In lugnet.announce.brickshelf, Kevin Loch wrote:
I have not posted until now because there was too much uncertainty about
how (or if) this was going to work out.
snippp

i'm just wondering if there is any update on this. i'm curious to see the
features of this paid program and get to using it.

ondrew

6 days and no reply......... hummmmmm
ondrew

Maybe you could ask the Ambassadors to help.

it's been well over a month now, what gives?
ondrew

Re: Brickshelf Status-- any update???
In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

   it’s been well over a month now, what gives? ondrew

Well, there have been issues, and a vacation in the between time....

Patience, grasshopper.

:-)

JOHN

Re: Brickshelf Status-- any update???
In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
it's been well over a month now, what gives?
ondrew

What gives is that this is Kevin Loch we're talking about.  Use Flickr.
Brickshelf is a waste of time and energy.

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   it’s been well over a month now, what gives? ondrew

What gives is that this is Kevin Loch we’re talking about. Use Flickr. Brickshelf is a waste of time and energy.

Show some respect and exercise some restraint. Sheesh.

JOHN

Re: Brickshelf Status-- any update???
   In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   it’s been well over a month now, what gives? ondrew

What gives is that this is Kevin Loch we’re talking about. Use Flickr. Brickshelf is a waste of time and energy.

Show some respect and exercise some restraint. Sheesh.

JOHN

Respect, what for?

Kevin has disrespected the LEGO community for years. He rarely if ever replies to any inquiries about the site, has not added any new features in years, and then suddenly threatens to pull the plug this summer. Now he is suppsedly going to launch a new subscription service, but there has been nary a peep for months.

Clearly he has no interest in actually making money off the site, or providing a useful service to the LEGO community.

It is time to move on.

Re: Brickshelf Status-- any update???
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:

   Kevin has disrespected the LEGO community for years. He rarely if ever replies to any inquiries about the site, has not added any new features in years, and then suddenly threatens to pull the plug this summer. Now he is suppsedly going to launch a new subscription service, but there has been nary a peep for months.

Apparently you’re forgetting that all those years of providing free hosting have somehow put him beyond any criticism in some people’s eyes. I wonder how they’ll feel when they’re paying for more of the same.

Re: Brickshelf Status-- any update???
In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, William R. Ward wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
   it’s been well over a month now, what gives? ondrew

What gives is that this is Kevin Loch we’re talking about. Use Flickr. Brickshelf is a waste of time and energy.

Show some respect and exercise some restraint. Sheesh.

JOHN

Respect, what for?

“Whom”.

   Kevin has disrespected the LEGO community for years.

You keep using that word. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

   He rarely if ever replies to any inquiries about the site, has not added any new features in years, and then suddenly threatens to pull the plug this summer. Now he is suppsedly going to launch a new subscription service, but there has been nary a peep for months.

Get thee to a dictionary.

   Clearly he has no interest in actually making money off the site, or providing a useful service to the LEGO community.

If anything is clear, it is that the whole situation is markedly unclear. You really have no idea what you’re talking about, do you Bill?

   It is time to move on.

Then do it already. My question is: why the need to publicly dump your vitriol on Kevin? It makes you sound petty and ungrateful.

JOHN

[...]

No interest in providing a useful service?

...apart from the providing free image hosting, unlimited accounts, unlimited access to images, unlimited directories, thumbnails, fast moderation, unobtrusive moderation, deeplinks (even before moderation) and searching, what useful service has Kevin ever provided for us?

Cheers

Richie Dulin

[...]

Once upon a time, it was a very special and unique thing to offer free image hosting. Once upon a time Kevin was a regular participant on LUGNET and an active member of the AFOL community. And once upon a time, Brickshelf was a state of the art Web application.

Those days are long gone. There are tons of better sites where you can host images, and Kevin posts once every few years, usually with bad news.

Several people have attempted to contact him to offer to help in various ways, from helping with the software to buying him out, and he never responds.

I don’t think he’s evil, I honestly think he’s probably just procrastinating, but in the meantime what was once a great service to the AFOL community has become an embarrassment.