 General / 53947
53946  |  53948
Subject:
Supportive Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:21:09 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Dear fellow LEGO fans and LDraw users,

I was deeply impressed reading how many would have supported BrickShelf with
fees to keep the site alive. Some expressed they weren't aware that they could
become paying members to get rid off the ads, others claimed that since there
has never been a request for donations they thought the ads would cover the
enormous costs. (Since I rarely used BS I honestly didn't care).

First of all, it is not easy asking for money, second, a donation is much more
appreciated, 'cos it comes from the heart and has the positive side effect that
you feel being considered. This is most true when you're going through hard
times and believe me the copyright mess we are in "over there" at LDraw.org -
with no parts update since December 2005 - is giving us a hard time. Fortunately
we expect being back to normal soon.

While managing the stillstood, but working behind the scene, we also added a
Paypal Donation Button to LDraw's frontpage in January to support our host
Peeron.com. Since LDraw causes a quarter of Peron's traffic – only last month
LDraw.org had 153,978 visits with 26,615,909 hits resulting in 244,831,640 KB
bandwidth – we thought it would be a good way to pay back.

In the 6 months the button is up (it can be found in the bottom left-hand
corner) the community has donated a total grant of 0.00 (ZERO) Dollar/Euro (not
counting in the 10 bucks I sent to test the button worked right).

w.
(Not speaking as LDraw Steering Committee member or LDraw Content Manager)