 General / 5228
Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:47:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Selçuk Göre writes:
That *is* something deep to think about, wow.

More than you think upto now I think..:-) What about profanity in other
languages than English? Lugnet is a multi national community. One example: a
simple and innocent looking abbreviation "ats2", which could be both read as
its spelling "atese iki" and as a combined word "atsiki". The second one
means exactly the reproductory  extremity of a male horse, expressed in the
most rude/slang way possible.

Wow.

Well, at least if someone uses "ats2", it'd have to be logically formed
from their name, so it would be clear that they weren't just doing it to
be rude/offensive.

Another thing to consider: What about letters like ç and ö like in my
name?

They're not a problem at all from an internal coding standpoint, but they
don't work in URLs, so the letters have to be ASCII a-z only.  Your best
bet might be something like 'sgore'.

They are already part of code page 437, but I know they could
cause some problem here or there.

What is code page 437?  Is that some Microshaft thing?  (I seem to remember
something like this back from my NT/army days.)  The important thing, really,
is that ç and ö are part of ISO-8859-1 (a real standard), but not part of
ASCII (another real standard).  Microshaft code pages aren't real standards.

And the most important, what about my nick "teyyareci". I've been using
it since I'm first started using Internet, and it has been a nick for
also long before my Internet life. You already mentioned some "special"
provisions to allow older users to continue their well known nicks, that
are not related to their names,

No, that wasn't to give special treatment to anyone to use nicks unrelated
to their names, it was citing examples of gray-area cases.

But how can you explain this to a new comer who also want to
use his beloved nick? "Hey, lamer. He was already here when you still
sitting on your mother's laptop. Don't ask this much lame questions
Selçuk

LOL!

Exactly -- that's why "seniority" only should count in the first-come-first-
serve sense, but not ever in a "truly special favors" sense.

--Todd