 General / 52149
Re: Lego Hobby Blues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 17:06:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
The thrill is gone.  There's so much about our hobby that has changed over
the last few years and a lot of it has changed for the worse.

LUGNET

This used to be THE place that the online community got together and talked
about the hobby.  Now, it has a fraction of the news it used to have.

Yeah, there are other sites now -- but I don't want to have to visit 10
different sites to get what I used to get in ONE place.  Plus, there's little
to none of the cross-pollination that having Lego stuff centralized on LUGNET
provided.  Classic-Castle, Classic-Space?  I never go to those sites, whereas
I used to see some cool castle and space stuff on LUGNET and enjoyed it, even
though those areas aren't my primary interest.

<snip Legofan paragraph>

THINGS THAT ARE WRONG

Our interest in the Swanberg case -- it's a court case, it's a person's life,
it only has to do with Lego incidentally.

Our addiction -- how much Lego is too much?  I probably had about 100 sets
when I was a kid, built up over 4-5 years -- now I have 60,000 pieces.  I
feel bad about this.  I want to buy more Lego, but why?  What's reasonable?
$200 a year? Is more irresponsible?  There are people living in poverty all
over the world -- it's kinda sickening to think I spend more on a toy in a
month than some people spend on food. :(  I'd really like to know what a sane
amount of money is - not based on what we have done as a community in the
past - but what is really a moral amount.  Anyone want to really examine
this?  Do we dare?

I know this soinds like a complaint - it is - and it's not as structured or
thought out as I had hoped it to be.  But what it comes down to is that I am
looking for answers.  I used to feel good about this hobby.  Some days I
still do.  But I want to know what happened to the community - is it still
there?  Is it thriving or dying?  And I want to know how sane and moral this
hobby is.  To me, these are important questions.  I am hitting a wall coming
up with answers
-- I am looking for discussion and insight....

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@charter.net

I think your concern over your Lego hobby is a bit hard on yourself. Those of us
in the 'developed world' often spend more on a burger then some families in less
fortunate parts have to feed a family for a week. This is indeed immoral, and it
is up to our politicians (who we vote and pay for) and the politicians of the
poorer nations to sort out. The immorality is indeed there, and we should fight
it whenever we can, but as long as you do this don't beat yourself up, we all
deserve a little bit of happiness.

All aspects of life have their Swanbergs - we will always be fascinated by how
low some of us can fall. Some will have sympathy, others none. For now though I
agree, our interest is verging on the pornographic (check the definition of you
think this is too strong) we should leave it up to the courts to sort out.

The splitting of the Lugnet community is a consequence of its growth; one site
for all is no longer enough. But do not think that the splinter communities
don’t come here. On many of these sites you’ll find discussions of things seen
through Lugnet or on Brickshelf, and the focus point of the whole community
seems to still be here, though not the posting!
There isn’t much difference between going to different forums on Lugnet and
going to different sites. Honestly I think a large part of your concerns could
be addressed if Lugnet provided prominent buttons to the major alternative sites
on its home page and the others followed suit, then newbies could find specific
interest sites easily and find their way to Lugnet for more general discussion.

Besides if you post a creation on Lugnet you get a lot more views! That’s why I
only post my favourites here, the ones I’m not so sure of I sound out in genre
specific sites.

How much Lego is too much? Trick Question? I know what you mean though, at some
point the pleasure of collecting becomes almost a chore… sorting is such a pain
and so many of the bricks you already have hundreds of, thus the pleasure is
reduced and you begin to wonder why you’re doing it?

The answer is to build a creation that makes a kid slap his cheeks and gasp
‘Wow! Mum, Mum look at this! Look! Look!!!’ Sounds like you need to get to a
live show, the kids will show you why you do it, and if you can’t then post it
on line and hope people tell you how nice it is, how it's inspired them. The
rest of the world is too much responsibility for a normal person to consider
every time they do something for themselves, but bring a little pleasure into
other peoples lives and you’re doing your bit to making the world a better place
(one brick at a time).

Best Wishes,
Merry Xmas,
Mark.