 General / 51356
Re: LEGO Errors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:21:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Phil Traviss wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
I was looking at a few old Lego catalogs, and I came across some errors that
were made 25-30 years ago.  Here's 2 examples....

Error #1) the 1977 German catalog....

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk77/index.htm

It is a nice 16 page catalog... but there is something missing.... 19 sets that
were produced in 1977, but did not make it to the catalog....

Basic Sets: #10, #20, #30, #40, #50.

Homemaker/Sets with People Sets: #210, #213, #215, #254, #256, #258, #263, #277,
#296.

Pre-School (Duplo) Sets: #522, #523, #524, #531, #536.

Later in 1977 a small mini-catalog with all these sets in it was produced.  That
these sets were not in the big catalog shows that somebody goofed!  Maybe the
missing Homemaker sets and Pre-School sets was a minor overlook.... but you
don't forget to put in the 5 major basic sets!!!

Error #2)  the 1983 Canadian Samsonite Catalog...

That catalog shows some small blister packs of minifig sets.  Among them are
#6001 (4 Castle Knight's minifigs) and #6002 (4 Town Minifigs).

Well as it turned out, both the Castle Knight's and Town Minifigs came out with
the same blister pack numbers.... #6002, and at the same time (1983)!!!!!  No
one has ever seen a #6001 Castle Knight's blister pack! (except in the catalog.)

There are other errors out there.....

Gary Istok

The most obvious one I can remember was the 1977 UK Catalogue said 67 on the
front instead!

Phil

Wow Phil, that one is hard to top!  (Phil and I talk frequently over Lego
"anomalies", things that are not quite as one would expect them.)

My favorite British error (I got this one from Phil several years ago), which is
not really an error... more like ignoring the facts... was the British road
signs, which were sold in spare parts pack #232 in Britain from 1960-65.  The
1960, 1961, and 1962 British catalogs say "Road Signs - Coming Soon", when in
fact they were already being produced... the continental version of #232 was
being sent to Britain.  Those (21 different) continental road signs were not the
same as those used on the roads in Britain (where they drove on the left).  So
finally in 1963 the (14 different) British signs came out in a British #232
parts pack.  Only problem was the catalogs and the parts pack boxes showed the
British signs as having poles with black/white stripes.  But when you opened the
box, voila!  NO STRIPES!  They NEVER had stripes.  Those stripes were shown in
the catalogs for the #232 and later #432 (the 1965-72 replacement parts pack for
#232).  And the British catalogs kept showing stripes year after year.... but
guess what... there were never striped road signs in Britain!!

Gary Istok