 General / 51176
51175  |  51177
Subject:
LEGO at $60 a barrel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:44:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The Southern California LEGO Train Club makes it’s custom table system using white vinyl coated hardboard for the surfaces and 1.9 inch diameter black ABS pipe for the legs. That’s ABS as in the same stuff that LEGO is made of. When we first started making tables 4 years ago, a 10 foot length of pipe cost under $3.00. Last winter, that price jumped to over $4.00. This week, the price is $5.79, almost 2x in a year. ABS pipe at large volume sellers such as Home Depot is probably very much driven by raw material cost (oil!). Clearly the raw material component of LEGO sets is a small fraction of the selling price, but ultimately oil at $60 a barrel will have some impact.

(Just something else to worry about this week.)

-Ted Michon

SCLTC