 General / 51003
51002  |  51004
Subject:
Musings on an open-source Brickshelf replacement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:20:36 GMT

Suppose, just for the sake of argument, that Brickshelf goes away or stops accepting new uploads. Further suppose that, as a community, we deem it wise to develop something that is decentralized open-source, so that our valued LEGO images and other media can have a permanent home, even as individual ALEs (including those originally running the service) come and go.

I can imagine a couple different forms such a next-generation service might take:

1. Custom app with peer-to-peer storage: a cross-platform app could be written to share images in a fashion similar to gnutella, napster, etc., but specialized for our own purposes. You’d launch this app, and it would connect to the network if possible and download recently added/changed metadata (keywords, thumbnails, and so on -- small bits of data on each image or folder). This metadata would be stored locally, and could be searched even when offline. Click on something you want to see more closely, and it connects to one or more machines that has the full data. You can then choose how long to keep the full data on your machine; if you think it’s valuable, keep it forever, and if you think it’s junk, let it cycle out after a day or two or when your local cache exceeds some limit you could set. This same app would be used for uploading your own images, of course. If you have the app running when somebody else uploads something, you could get an immediate notice. If we really want to get wild and crazy, we could even have a mini-chat feature where you can see who is browsing the same folders as you, and talk with them.

As you can tell, I think this is a pretty cool idea. :) Images could eventually disappear if nobody thought it valuable enough to keep, but I bet there are at least a couple of ALEs in the world who would buy a big hard drive and keep almost everything, so that would be rare. The chief drawback to this approach is that you couldn’t link to these files from a web page, such as a LUGNET announcement. (Hmm, unless we provide some web server gateway, which doesn’t support browsing or searching but just serves up images by their URL. That’s possible.)

Anyway, on to option 2...

2. A web server, perhaps hosted someplace like SourceForge where administration tasks are easily shared and transferred as needed. Users would browse and update via the Web, as they do with Brickshelf. Except that, I don’t think we can make this work as an open-source effort unless the actual images are not stored on the server -- that’s just too much bandwidth to pay for, in a model where nobody gets paid. So, the images would have to be stored elsewhere, hither and yon, and this server would just act as a central indexer.

This is probably easier than option 1, at least in some ways. The main problem is that it’s more work to upload or update your stuff; first you have to find your own host for your images, and upload them there, and then update the central index with the appropriate URL, description, and keywords.

This approach is also subject to server overload -- such as what is apparently causing mocpages.com to be unreachable right now. :) The peer-to-peer network of option 1 is much less susceptible to that.

Just some thoughts... any comments?

Best,
- Joe