 General / 51000
Re: Samsonite 118 Train set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:47:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote: • http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/estrand/Vintage-Ads/lego_ad_1968_fao_schwarz_toy_catalog.jpg
exchange rate 1968?

Hallo Ben!

A couple of things.....

The exchange rate in 1968 was about DM 4,00 = $1.00.  I know that very well
because I was 15 years old visiting relatives in Germany in 1968.  I still have
a pair of Hummel figurines that I paid DM 90,- (from factory employees), which I
wrote down at the time as $23.50.  (They are the large Umbrella Boy and Umbrella
Girl, today they are still available in retail stores, but at $2000 each!)  And
I still have them...

Thanks Gary,

for letting me know about the exchange rate. I assume the catalogue price has
been without tax, so all in all the prices have been on similar levels.

The #116 looks correct.  But is there a difference between #116 and #127?

Yes there are a few minor design changes: 116 came with 4-stud-wheels - 127 had
spokes. 116 has hook couplings while 127 was upgraded to magnets.

I have given some more informations on these sets on my homepage (about the hook
coupling design changes etc....):
http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/trains/blue_era/blue_era.phtml#116

Kind Regards,

Ben