 General / 49572
49571  |  49573
Subject:
Lego Hangman
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:26:19 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I completely forgot about this one-- around a year ago I played around with
writing a hangman program that could automatically detect roughly how hard a
given word/phrase was(1), and tested it out with Lego words. Not overly
exciting, but a great way to waste some time!

http://www.suave.net/~dave/cgi/hang.cgi

DaveE

(1) Basically it scores words based on how many different letters are used, how
common each of those letters is in English, and how long the overall string is:

A) Words with a whole bunch of different letters are easier to guess, because
you're more likely to guess a correct letter. By comparison, a word like
"banana" has a few common letters, but is still kinda tricky since you might
guess OTHER common letters first.
B) Obviously, things with wierd letters like Q, Z, X, etc are tougher to guess.
Unfortunately, there seemed to be a lot of discrepancies with which letters are
"the most commonly used". IIRC I derived mine based on words found on a random
sampling of LUGNET posts.
C) If you've got a long word, it's easier to guess, based on context clues.
"Banana", for instance, is easier to guess than "Ban".

Oh, and FUT .geek or something if you want to comment on the whole
word-breakdown thing.