 General / 49018
Re: Fake LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:20:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Tabener wrote:
Apart from LEGO are there any known issues where bricks have been made by
other companies with the LEGO mark/logo on but not looking quite the same
(smaller/different text)?

There are no known clones that mold the word Lego into their bricks. All clones
use some other mark or no mark at all. There are some clones that make parts
very similar to Lego parts, but those never have the Lego name.

The reason I ask is that I have been buying LEGO by the kilo+ on Ebay and
have been getting a few bricks that at a quick glance look like LEGO bricks.
Upon close inspection these bricks have a different style logo and the
plastic seems different and the bricks are warped (base of brick does not
sit flat).

The bricks you describe are Cellulose Acetate (commonly called CA). It is the
type of plastic used by Lego up to 1963 in Europe, and limited use in the US for
several years after that. Since then, Lego has used a material called ABS for
most of its parts. The CA colors are different. CA parts also tend to warp in
the manner you describe.

The small logo was also used during this time. It is one of several logos that
can be found on vintage bricks:

Hope that helps,
Clark

Isodomos.com - marking the difference in Lego parts
http://www.isodomos.com

Visit my Vintage Lego Parts pages, submissions always welcome: